Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I converted my hardtail to 1 X 9 with a 32 ring up front and a 11-34 cogset.

It weighs in the low 20 lb range (depending on which wheels I run) and gets me around just fine in most terrain. I can actually clean one nasty technical climb on one of my regular routes with the lighter 1 X 9 @ 32:34, when I stall out on my heavier dualie with the the 22 ring up front and whatever cogs.

So I decided to make the dualie a 2 X 9 by swapping out the rings on the Stylo 3.3 crank, and adding a bash. I also will run a 11-34 cogset.

Searched around on-line for rings, found a decent prices on Pricepoint, but limited choices for teeth. I settled on bash, 36 and 24, and ordered them last night. I'm ok with the 36 (I'm no racer boy), but was looking for a 26 small ring and couldn't find one - at least on Pricepoint.

Any comments on how the set up I ended up with will work?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I made the switch about 1 year ago from a 44-32-22 crankset with a 11-32 cassette to a bash-36-24 crankset with a 11-34 cassette. The crankset is a Truvativ Stylo 2006 or 2007, the chainrings are Blackspire and the chain guard is made by Salsa. My setup is heavy compared to similar ones, but I love it and I would not go back to a triple crankset. I forgot to mention that I use a Sram force road front derailleur now, which works great in most situations - although sometimes it does not drop the chain from the big to the small chain ring, but it only happens under heavy load. If it continues to bother me, I will replace it with a Sram XX or maybe the new Shimano XTR.

Well, the 24/34 combo is harder to turn than the 22/32 one, but the difference is barely noticeable. Sometimes I think about changing the 36t chainring for a 38t, but the 14 tooth gap will be a little too much, therefore forcing me to go with a 26t small chainring. On the other hand, I am not strong enough for a 26 tooth small chain ring - when I am on the trail climbing a long and steep section I am glad I still have the 24t one.

The bottom line is that the setup I have is the best and I do not see myself going with something else, at least until I get stronger.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts