Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes another 2x9 question.

So i am looking for chainrings for my 2x9 setup. it seems like there are not too many choices for 4 arm crank arms. i have a SLX crank (104 x 64) i want to do a 40t - 36t x 29t -26t. the only options i really can find a single speed or DH specific rings with no shift ramps.
i did find some Race Face 36t x 26t at Jenson but those are out of stock. i will be running a 11x32 in the rear. I am very open to suggestions. Pictures of your setups is nice too!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Andrea138 said:
Blackspire makes some nice rings in a lot of sizes. Not the lightest, but the feel like they'll last forever.
Just checked out their website and surprisingly Blackspire doesn't make anything with shift ramps in those ratios. They do have ss and DH rings in the ratios :madman:

I know the best thing would be to have rings with shift ramps but what is the shift proformance without the ramps like. Anyone know?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I went with the Blackspire Super Pro Chain rings in a 36/24 combo. These are designed to for shifting.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/20.../Bashguards/Blackspire-SuperPro-Chainring.htm

* The ENGINEERED ring!
* Modified shift gates and special profiles to allow 9/10 speed chains to shift flawlessly
* Middle and Outer chainrings have strategically placed stainless steel pins to further enhance shifting
* Middle rings are cut from thick .190 material
* Outer rings are cut from .160 material
* For 9 or 10 Speed drivetrains
* Anodized w/Laser Etched Graphics

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1-bar said:
I went with the Blackspire Super Pro Chain rings in a 36/24 combo. These are designed to for shifting.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/20.../Bashguards/Blackspire-SuperPro-Chainring.htm

* The ENGINEERED ring!
* Modified shift gates and special profiles to allow 9/10 speed chains to shift flawlessly
* Middle and Outer chainrings have strategically placed stainless steel pins to further enhance shifting
* Middle rings are cut from thick .190 material
* Outer rings are cut from .160 material
* For 9 or 10 Speed drivetrains
* Anodized w/Laser Etched Graphics
Thanks! I like Pricepoint. what ratio do you run in the rear? do you feel you have enough fire power with 36x24 ration?

·
Registered
497 Posts
myke2241 said:
Thanks guys. The TA stuff is very nice but kind of pricy and hard to find in many sizes here in the US, anyone have any US options?
They are quite a bit cheaper than the Blackspire's, but i'm not sure about durability. Wiggle ships to the US If you order around $80 shippings free.

For US you might try Salsa.

I'm sure you know, but for the inner you are not going to need ramps/pins.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
myke2241 said:
Thanks! I like Pricepoint. what ratio do you run in the rear? do you feel you have enough fire power with 36x24 ration?
I'm running a 11-32 PG990. I just ordered them last week so I have not had a chance to try them out or get them for that matter. I rarely, if ever use my 22 frt ring so I'm I have enough juice for the trails I typically ride.

Here is what a 36/24 combo looks like with Blackspire rings (not mine).

Did you think about what derailleur your going to use? Most derailleurs will work, but if you want to fine tune your shifting you will need to get a derailleur that can sit lower like the SLX M665 or m667. If you look at the picture above you can see that the lower part of the frt. der. cage is pratically sitting on the rear chainstay.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks 1-bar. i actually just bought the rings from Pricepoint. I had heard of some of the frame limitations running a 2x9. I am just crossing my fingers at the point. good thing front DR's are cheap! i'll post come pictures of my build next week. probably will be in the 29er forum.

Thanks for everyones help!

·
Registered
525 Posts
picture sucks, but I found 28/38 rings on ebay "used" (look awful new to me) that are claimed to be made by truvativ... The 38 is ramped. I had previously done a lot of research/looking around and made a similar thread to this one.

I am running 24/36 with raceface rings on my 26" bike

strangely, salsa doesn't make exactly what I wanted in 104bcd (surprised me too). I have salsa 42t ss ring up front on my 26" ss and 38t salsa ss ring on a 29er, plus I own two salsas and have many salsa parts on the other bikes.

Attachments

·
Registered
603 Posts
2silent said:
picture sucks, but I found 28/38 rings on ebay "used" (look awful new to me) that are claimed to be made by truvativ... The 38 is ramped. I had previously done a lot of research/looking around and made a similar thread to this one.

I am running 24/36 with raceface rings on my 26" bike

strangely, salsa doesn't make exactly what I wanted in 104bcd (surprised me too). I have salsa 42t ss ring up front on my 26" ss and 38t salsa ss ring on a 29er, plus I own two salsas and have many salsa parts on the other bikes.
Nice bbg bashguard!

·
Registered
603 Posts
2silent said:
I have about 5 of 'em...

those superlights sure are light eh? I should be swapping to the regular one for the xc "race" tomorrow am (I say "race" because it's on snow). they are a great product at the right price.
I got the same drilled ones at 30g for the 32T. I'm going to pick up some for the 36T. Yep, great price.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.