Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to jump into the 2 x 10 speed world, and ponder my gearing options for all-around XC/trail riding with decent climbing and descending.

I ride regularly and at a good pace, but have no intention of chasing or becoming one of the professionals. Rear cassette will likely be 11-36....What to spec on the front - 28/40 (my guess) or 30/42? Also, should my decision be different if I have a XC 29er or trail 26er bike in mind?

Thanks!

·
A Baker St. Muse
139 Posts
I picked 26/39 in front with a 12-36 in back, based on a few hours entering all the data for the various options into a spreadsheet and comparing with what I used to have on my 3x9 bike. Ultimately, it's personal preference, but it helps to be armed with the numbers.

And yes, the ratios are different for a 29er.

·
Banned
1,889 Posts
It is up to you what to get. I went 26-39t with a 12-36t cassette and I love it. 11-36t didn't feel too different and they would not have been in stock in time for me to go on a trip, so no regrets. Figure the gears you currently use the most for climbing and descending to try to get an idea of your style. My only regret is getting an X0 rear derailleur. I should have gotten X9 RD. I guess I have full X0 drivetrain, LOL

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah, thanks. From the replies so far, it sounds like the smaller front chainring combo (i.e. 28/40) is closer to what I'll use more. The 3 x 9 setup I'm coming from is the standard 22-32-44 and a 11-34 rear cassette. I use all the choices available in the granny gear and middle ring, and only occasionally ride in the big ring.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts