Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently am running a brand new xt rear 11.34 cassette and dura ace 7701 chain. I also own a partly worn 11.34 cassette and pc99 chain (not hollow pin!) and am thinking about putting this on a second wheelset.

If you run two wheelsets eg one for road training and one for offroad racing what should you do??

1. One chain and two cassettes (however the chain and cassette would not wear evenly together would they?)

2. Two chains, one for each wheelset and cassette and swap them continually (this would be easy with sram chains)

3. Other ideas that other people do?

Thanks again
Ryan

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,726 Posts
Well Two Answers....

First I run at least 2 different wheelsets/cassettes on all my bikes and have noticed no shifting issues due to chain and cassette not being perfectly matched. I dont think you will have a problem.

Second I usually run 2 chains per bike and swap them every 500 miles or so. This way your cassette will effectively last twice as long as most people recommend getting rid of a cassette when you get a new chain. (I was never in favor of that 'cause I can easly get 2-3 times as many miles out of a cassette before its teeth show wear than I can get out of a chain)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts