Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife are planning on a 2 week trip in CO to get us acclimated (ha!) in preparation for the Leadville 100. I'm just starting to figure out what we're doing, and this is what I've come up with thus far:

Ft. Collins: .5 days, visit friends
Rocky Mountain NP: 2 days, hike Long's Peak, short hikes (any good rides nearby??)
Evergreen: 1.5 days, Ride Mt. Evans, visit family (any good rides nearby??)
Salida: 1.5 days, Monarch Crest trail.... and others??
Durango, 3 days, riding with a friend
Crested Butte, 2.5 days, 401 trail.... other suggestions?
Leadville, 3 days, pre-ride course, rest up, then suffer

Evergreen, Durango, and Leadville are the only real solid anchors in this list. I'm just going off of what I have heard are great trails in CO. Other suggestions and places to stop in transit are welcome. We thought about a 1 or 2 night tour along the CO trail but not sure when to fit that in at this point.

We are on a pretty tight budget, so suggestions for good camping locations would be appreciated. I'd prefer to camp at higher elevations whenever possible to suck in as much thin air as possible.

Thanks!

Cross posted to Western Slopes.

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Three years ago, I attempted to ride up Mt. Evans. I failed due to the effects of the elevation and the diminishing daylight. I vowed to return and defeat it. This is my chance.

As for Mt. Elbert, looks cool, but I don't think that's what I would call "resting up before the race".

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
crakkillsdaily said:
if you do the crest you may want to consider greens creek if you like fast technical decents lots of turns, roots, rock drops
Do you know any routes that would turn Monarch Crest into a loop? Not a fan of shuttling, I thought we'd try to camp up there somewhere and just take off from camp, any thoughts?

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,453 Posts
FishMan473 said:
Do you know any routes that would turn Monarch Crest into a loop? Not a fan of shuttling, I thought we'd try to camp up there somewhere and just take off from camp, any thoughts?
Yeah - that won't be "taking it easy" either. :D

There are loops. Just look on the topo map and pick your poison.

·
Registered
35 Posts
you can alway hope for a hitchhike up the pass. are you planning on riding the crest to silver creek that will put you on 285 then a short ride into salida where you can prob set up a shuttle service or you can then ride up monarch pass

·
Registered
536 Posts
Evans is easy (sort of)

FishMan473 said:
Three years ago, I attempted to ride up Mt. Evans. I failed due to the effects of the elevation and the diminishing daylight. I vowed to return and defeat it. This is my chance.

As for Mt. Elbert, looks cool, but I don't think that's what I would call "resting up before the race".
The elevation is a factor for almost everybody who rides up Evans. It's an honest Fourteener you can ride. Everyone gets a headache. Everyone feels like 1974 Elvis is sitting on their cest. It's kind of miserable for the last four miles. But at a certain point it's a mind over matter deal and it never really gets steep. Once you hit Summit Lake, you've just got to decide that there's no way you're turning around.It's only five miles or so, you can do five more miles can't you?

The downhill isn't as fun as you'd think until you get about 2/3 of the way back down to Echo Lake. At that point, the road surface conditions finally improve enough so that you can just let your bike do what it came to do. Until then, the tarmac is a little too rough, the road a little too narrow, and it's way too congested with tourists who've never seen a switchback before in their lives driving their SUV rentals with a twitchy brake foot. But if you consider the downhill lasts all the way to Bergen Park or Idaho Springs, you'll forget about all that braking you did above tree line.

I think Mt. Evans is an excellent pre-Leadville training ride and one that you'll remember for a long time.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Where ever you ride, consider not beating yourself up on technical rocky trails. Use your energy getting your muscles working at 10,000 feet. Sure do a few rides, but smoother constant effort is better in the long run for Leadville. If you are able to post here as you get close to the town of Leadville, (city technically) I live here and could ride with you if you want company.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Fort Collins:
- warmup on Lory/Blue Sky Trail loop (smooth, rolling , 5000' elevation)

Rocky Mtn NP:
- road ride up Trailridge or dirt road up Fall River (smooth, 12600' elevation) - only on week days, otherwise too much traffic to be fun.

·
We can rebuild him
83 Posts
If you plan on riding the Crest bring some shoe covers or baggies for hike a bike through snow fields. I was up there this weekend, looked like the snow covered the trail to the top. I would check with the shops in Salida on conditions. Any loop will involve riding up Monarch Pass, depends on which drainage you drop down how many miles you want to ride. It can range annoyware from 25 to 65 miles and involves a lot of road riding. I have done it but it is a lot more fun if you shuttle. I have also caught a ride back to the top with my thumb, just hold on to your helmet and the locals know what you are up to, most will gladly give you a ride.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.