Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i will be in CO Springs on biz for 2 weeks in august. i will be able to ride most days after 4pm and will have my weekends free. i am fully mobile and want to hit it hard on the weekends. any suggestions on how i should manage my rides, i'll have 2 full weekends plus a sunday?

i am hoping that i will be able to hit CO Springs trails after work but am able to travel on the weekends... theres so many great places to ride that i'm having a hard time figuring where to go. also, i know someone in aspen that i can spend a weekend with if necessary. i recently had a trip to fruita, and its kinda far, so i'm not gunning to hit that area.

any suggestions would be much appreciated. thanks in advance.
:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
I'd recommend riding up in Aspen for a weekend if you have a chance, there is a lot of great singletrack that is ridable from Aspen and Snowmass Village. I'd avoid Fruita in August, it will be hot. If you decide to go the Aspen route, PM me with the type of riding you're looking for and I can make a suggestion or two.
 

·
Candlestick Maker
Joined
·
3,109 Posts
Monarch Crest + surrounding area one weekend.
Crested Butte is also worth a visit (and can be done w/ Aspen in a weekend)

Lots to keep you busy in the Springs area during the week. I think you could ride a diff area each day...

Palmer Park
Ute Valley
Falcon Trail
Cheyenne Canyon
Red Rocks
Cheyenne Mtn St Park
Rampart Reservoir
Monument Preserve
etc

If it's hot (which it can be in August) ride early/late/or high (in elevation)...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FrostyStruthers said:
Do you happen to use a GPS?
i use an edge 500 - no maps.. had a 705 rattle off and lost it, coulnt bear to buy another one.

thanks for the suggestions. it looks like i will do aspen and really like the looks of Monach Crest.
 

·
bike rider
Joined
·
5,502 Posts
One week in Blackhawk, one in Canyon City. Hit those slots hard, the trails out here are way over rated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
If you can leave Friday night and come back late Sunday - can't recommend Fruita enough. Love the trails there. It will prolly be hot - but oh well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yetiquattro said:
If you can leave Friday night and come back late Sunday - can't recommend Fruita enough. Love the trails there. It will prolly be hot - but oh well.
yeah, fruita rocks. spent 4 days there in april and had a blast. i plan to stick to the springs, aspen, crested butte, salida and buena vista...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
256 Posts
scoutcat said:
i will be in CO Springs on biz for 2 weeks in august. i will be able to ride most days after 4pm and will have my weekends free. i am fully mobile and want to hit it hard on the weekends. any suggestions on how i should manage my rides, i'll have 2 full weekends plus a sunday?

i am hoping that i will be able to hit CO Springs trails after work but am able to travel on the weekends... theres so many great places to ride that i'm having a hard time figuring where to go. also, i know someone in aspen that i can spend a weekend with if necessary. i recently had a trip to fruita, and its kinda far, so i'm not gunning to hit that area.

any suggestions would be much appreciated. thanks in advance.
:thumbsup:
Hey scoutcat, you're going to have plenty to keep you busy. My suggestions...

One weekend (a long one if possible) in Crested Butte:
- Reno, Flag the Bear, Deadmans
- Dr. Park
- 401 (just because it's a CB classic). All these are pretty long rides, but if you haven't had enough, add in...
- Teocalli Ridge

Second weekend do the other "classics" that you won't be able to do after 4pm during the week:
- Monarch Crest
- Kenosha Pass

I agree with Baker, there is a lot in the Springs area for your post-work rides. I'd also suggest stopping in at the major bike shops in town - they might have a group ride that you can join. If you don't ride with someone local, you probably won't get the most out of places like Palmer Park or Red Rocks.

Good luck,

E
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
theycallmeE said:
Hey scoutcat, you're going to have plenty to keep you busy. My suggestions...

One weekend (a long one if possible) in Crested Butte:
- Reno, Flag the Bear, Deadmans
- Dr. Park
- 401 (just because it's a CB classic). All these are pretty long rides, but if you haven't had enough, add in...
- Teocalli Ridge

Second weekend do the other "classics" that you won't be able to do after 4pm during the week:
- Monarch Crest
- Kenosha Pass

I agree with Baker, there is a lot in the Springs area for your post-work rides. I'd also suggest stopping in at the major bike shops in town - they might have a group ride that you can join. If you don't ride with someone local, you probably won't get the most out of places like Palmer Park or Red Rocks.

Good luck,

E

exactly the post i was looking for! thanks dude!
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top