Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Deore shifters on my entry level bike that i'm riding now and i've become used to them. For some reason I'll shift both ways. I ordered an 09 HiFi deluxe which comes with sram x7 shifters and x9 rear derailleur. The LBS said they were swap any parts for me at the cost difference between the parts. So i'm thinking of getting SLX shifters for the 2 way release.

Would i need to get a shimano derailleur (get them to swap the x9 for XT) as well? I think i heard that somewhere?

Is there any benefit advantage to the 2 way release besides that i've grown to like it? Is it actually a bad habit to shift both ways?

· Old man on a bike
12,390 Posts
Can't help you with anything about the two way release, never used one, still on old standard rapidfire shifters myself. If you want to use the X.9 derailleur, you'll need one of the matching SRAM shifters, the Shimano shifters won't work with the SRAM derailleurs (although there are SRAM shifters you can get that will work with Shimano derailleurs).

· ...idios...
5,609 Posts
You'll need to use a Shimano derailleur if you switch to Shimano shifters, yes.

The two-way release will be a benefit if you use it as one. I find that I downshift with either my thumb (push) or first-finger (pull) depending on my position on the bike and the angle of my wrist at the bar. I now find myself automatically using the most comfortable digit.

· Registered
1,146 Posts
Me three. Normally I shift the Sram way because I brake with the index finger and therefore only my thumbs are positioned for shifting. But I learned to ride with the old-school Shimano shifters so I occasionally I revert back. 2-way release is great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.