Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
This place needs an enema
17,244 Posts
shishku said:
No builder will 2 cross a disk wheel for you.
Except maybe Bontrager, and anything with a Rohloff, and/or anything with deeper than ~40mm rims.

I think 2x works fine on disc wheels for lighter riders, even if I don't think you gain anything worthwhile by doing so.

MC

·
Professional Crastinator
6,637 Posts
I guess you save a tiny bit of weight in using shorter spokes for a 2X, but I don't think 2X will hold the torque of the rim/tire around the hub under heavy braking - it is bound to come out of shape.

Someone verify my geometry for me - can you go 2X on one side and 3X on the disc side? Or even radial on the non-disc side?

I am editting - the rear hub would never stand up to that. nevermind.

-F

·
Administrator
11,878 Posts
yes just go to the bathroom before riding or use 26er tubes or stan's or smaller tires. Weight savings are so minimal vs the loss of strength and increase in maintenance that it would never be worth it. Heck get lighter skewers and you will probably be right there as far as weight (i know that it isn't rotating weight but still).

·
Rohloff
1,600 Posts
mikesee said:
Except maybe Bontrager, and anything with a Rohloff, and/or anything with deeper than ~40mm rims.

I think 2x works fine on disc wheels for lighter riders, even if I don't think you gain anything worthwhile by doing so.

MC
I've got a Rohloff that was laced 2x to Stans Flow rims. It not as laterally rigid (tire rubbing on chainstay) and comes out of true easier than the Bontrager Rhythm Elite (2x) wheel it replaced.

I'm a heavy, strong, recreational rider, doing mostly XC/trail riding over rough rock on my GF HiFi 29er. I've been wondering if I should get it relaced 3x or go with some larger/stiffer spokes to strengthen the wheel?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
douglas said:
how should I have my disc 29er wheelset built up?

ps: these will be my lightish race wheels
Depends on the rims, hubs and number of spokes used. Generally more crosses are better and has little effect on the weight.

As has been mentioned, deeper rims and/or larger diameter hub flanges may need fewer crosses as do fewer spokes, but the effect is basically the same as the tangental spoke angle remains the same.

For most 28 and 32 spoke wheel go with 3X (2X can work with 28). For 36 spoke go 4X (3X is OK, too).

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Fleas said:
I guess you save a tiny bit of weight in using shorter spokes for a 2X, but I don't think 2X will hold the torque of the rim/tire around the hub under heavy braking - it is bound to come out of shape.

Someone verify my geometry for me - can you go 2X on one side and 3X on the disc side? Or even radial on the non-disc side?

I am editting - the rear hub would never stand up to that. nevermind.

-F
I have built several rear wheels this way, and 2X disc/3X right side fronts. It works. Not ideal but it works. All 3X (or 4X) is more stable.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I've got a pair of Bonty Rhythms 2X and then I built a single DT Swiss Onyx hub up 3X on a Bonty Mustang rim (essentially the same as the Rhythm rim) - and I notice a VERY significant difference with the Onyx wheel being stiffer and tougher... it feels more solid on descents and I weigh about 175 and ride a rigid Monocog Flight...

I'm running both tubeless (ghetto until Bonty gets those strips out - perhaps 2009?) at about 23-25psi and the Onyx, while a bit heavier (the hub is heavier and the straight gauge spokes are likely heavier as well) is my preferred wheel.

I'd say build 'em 3X you'll notice the difference.
S

·
Uncle
4,389 Posts
shiggy said:
For most 28 and 32 spoke wheel go with 3X (2X can work with 28). For 36 spoke go 4X (3X is OK, too).
Hey Shiggy, Why more crosses with more spokes? Is the assumption here that more spokes is for heavier riders, and therefore more crosses are needed? Or does it have to do with the spokes being closer together, and therefore easier to cross up?

BTW -- My newest 29er wheels are 36h 2x laced, front and rear.
105mm

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
105millimetersofpleasure said:
Hey Shiggy, Why more crosses with more spokes? Is the assumption here that more spokes is for heavier riders, and therefore more crosses are needed? Or does it have to do with the spokes being closer together, and therefore easier to cross up?

BTW -- My newest 29er wheels are 36h 2x laced, front and rear.
105mm
The latter. Basically a 36 spoke, 4X wheel has the same tangental spoke angle as a 32 spoke, 3X or 24 spoke, 2X wheel.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
stevereeneo said:
I've got a pair of Bonty Rhythms 2X and then I built a single DT Swiss Onyx hub up 3X on a Bonty Mustang rim (essentially the same as the Rhythm rim) - and I notice a VERY significant difference with the Onyx wheel being stiffer and tougher... it feels more solid on descents and I weigh about 175 and ride a rigid Monocog Flight...

I'm running both tubeless (ghetto until Bonty gets those strips out - perhaps 2009?) at about 23-25psi and the Onyx, while a bit heavier (the hub is heavier and the straight gauge spokes are likely heavier as well) is my preferred wheel.

I'd say build 'em 3X you'll notice the difference.
S
But you are also comparing 28 spoke, 2X and 32 spoke 3X wheels.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I would never cross more than 3. I once set off on a 2500 mile trip with new wheels (cross 4?). I kept breaking rear wheel spokes and had to get off the freewheel, and loosen other spokes, just to get a replacement in. Those wheels were bad. Never went anything else but cross 3 after that , (and firmer rims; and 30 mm tires for that matter).

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
mvi said:
I would never cross more than 3. I once set off on a 2500 mile trip with new wheels (cross 4?). I kept breaking rear wheel spokes and had to get off the freewheel, and loosen other spokes, just to get a replacement in. Those wheels were bad. Never went anything else but cross 3 after that , (and firmer rims; and 30 mm tires for that matter).
Highly doubtful the issue was the spoke lacing pattern.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.