Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an AC2. I love this bike but my wife wants to get another one for an anniversary present. I am 5,11'' and 225 lbs. Where I ride there are alot of roots and rocks and climbing.The AC weights 35lbs.I can't climb fast but I don't care because I'm not racing. I won't be doing big jumps but I like a very plush ride like on a motorcycle.What would be a good bike in this price range.I was thinking about a Yeti 575 ,Heckler or Blur. What would be the best bike for these conditions? Would any of these be noticably better than the AC2?

Thanks
Pat

·
Registered
60 Posts
get a foes fxr with the curnutt youll love it. I was in the same boat you were as far as looking for a new bike and i got the fxr it climbs nice thanks to the curnutt and with almost 6" in the rear it desends perfect and is relativly light depending one the fork

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Golddr2000 said:
I have an AC2. I love this bike but my wife wants to get another one for an anniversary present. I am 5,11'' and 225 lbs. Where I ride there are alot of roots and rocks and climbing.The AC weights 35lbs.I can't climb fast but I don't care because I'm not racing. I won't be doing big jumps but I like a very plush ride like on a motorcycle.What would be a good bike in this price range.I was thinking about a Yeti 575 ,Heckler or Blur. What would be the best bike for these conditions? Would any of these be noticably better than the AC2?

Thanks
Pat
Better at what? If you swap the parts off the AC onto another frame you will still be near the 35lb range + - a pound or 2 at the most. The bikes you list are all nice bikes and all for slightly different riding styles. IMO...The closest to the AC would be the Heckler then the 575 and the most XC racerish is the Blur. If your objective is to be able to climb better and keep the "plush motorcycle type ride" you might look more towards bikes available with a coil-over shock option and a 4-bar style suspension with 5-6" of rear wheel travel. Other good chioces, yet slightly more expensive, are the Foes FXR, Ventana X-5, Turner 5 Spot, Ellsworth Moment & ID. The Specialized Enduro and Giant VT might also be worth a look.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Like a motorcycle..

Golddr2000 said:

Thanks
Pat
I'd go with a 4 bar suspension design like the Enduro Expert/Pro. Or spend a coupla hundred more than 3k and get a 5 spot.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Golddr2000 said:

Thanks
Pat
Speak to the guys at www.123bikes.com, they are custom bike builders with years of experience and they can give you the same price as anyone else and they handbuild their wheels too. That will save you loads of hassle and money. They also carry all the best frames too and if you let them know your riding style and location and they will recommend certain frames and builds that will suit your budget. They don't tell you what you need they listen to what you want and make suggestions. It's a breath of fresh air to have a Bike Psychologist to speak to and to help you make the right expensive decisions. You'll definitely go away smiling and riding the bike that's best for you.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
FYI, DWW = 123bikes, something that he should say instead of pretending to be a third party recommending them. That said, 123bikes is a good shop and there are many happy customers of theirs on this site.

·
Registered
565 Posts
CDMC said:
FYI, DWW = 123bikes, something that he should say instead of pretending to be a third party recommending them. That said, 123bikes is a good shop and there are many happy customers of theirs on this site.
I would definately look at a Turner or Ventana... both are excellent bikes. Here's another site to look at. Bought my Ventana here and they were awesome... www.rbikes.com (ask for Richard).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts