Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be away from a month and I'm taking my SS with me. I'll have about a 10km urban commute to the trailhead and the 32X20 will make it a loooooonnnng spin. I was thinking of running 2 rings (42X32) with the 20 in the back and a Melvin tensioner. Has anyone done this and if so, do I have anything to watch out for (if you have pictures of your setup, that would be most appreciated). The Melvin can handle up to a 20 tooth difference...
Thanks!

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
madonenm said:
I have a bike set up as a three speed in that fashion, with a 19T freewheel and a 26-33-38 up front. It works great. I have also used this same setup on a dual supension frame as well with the same great results.
Thanks! I'm also playing around with the idea of running a 32X20 and 38X14 parallel to see if my chain length can be the same (it sounds good in theory having equal total teeth of 52 and all but sometimes theory and reality don't coexist very well)...
Have you had any chain jumping off issues with using the Melvin or does it have pretty good spring tension to pick up the slack?

·
Registered
59 Posts
No skiping

I have never had any skipping or chain drop with this seup. The Paul Melvin has very high spring tension and even on a dual suspension frame (with a changing chainstay length) the setup never skiped or dropped. The only problem I have encountered with skiping has been when using Chris King Cogs. The squared off tooth profile does not lend it's self to spring based tensioners in my opinion. That said, I have not run this setup without the front derailleur, but I do use singlespeed rings for all three rings up front.

If you are using a tensioner for your current gearing the dual cog/chainring set will probably involve adjusting the tensioner every time you change it. That may make it a bit of a hassle to do the changes.

flipnidaho said:
Thanks! I'm also playing around with the idea of running a 32X20 and 38X14 parallel to see if my chain length can be the same (it sounds good in theory having equal total teeth of 52 and all but sometimes theory and reality don't coexist very well)...
Have you had any chain jumping off issues with using the Melvin or does it have pretty good spring tension to pick up the slack?

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
madonenm said:
I have never had any skipping or chain drop with this seup. The Paul Melvin has very high spring tension and even on a dual suspension frame (with a changing chainstay length) the setup never skiped or dropped. The only problem I have encountered with skiping has been when using Chris King Cogs. The squared off tooth profile does not lend it's self to spring based tensioners in my opinion. That said, I have not run this setup without the front derailleur, but I do use singlespeed rings for all three rings up front.

If you are using a tensioner for your current gearing the dual cog/chainring set will probably involve adjusting the tensioner every time you change it. That may make it a bit of a hassle to do the changes.
Thanks! I have my eye on a Melvin.
I'm currently not using a tensioner on the bike I'll be taking on my trip since the 32X20 + worn chain + ghetto eno (filed the axle a few mm's = magic ratio. I'm hoping that a 38X14 (assuming I can get the 38 ring in 110 bcd and a 14t cog) will yield the same chain length. Kinda like the Eno double design.

Attachments

·
wait a minute....
216 Posts
where to buy those?

madonenm said:
I have a bike set up as a three speed in that fashion, with a 19T freewheel and a 26-33-38 up front. It works great. I have also used this same setup on a dual supension frame as well with the same great results.
i have been looking for some odd size rings,but i thought they had to be ramped to shift with.do s.s. rings shift ok?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
flipnidaho said:
I'll be away from a month and I'm taking my SS with me. I'll have about a 10km urban commute to the trailhead and the 32X20 will make it a loooooonnnng spin. I was thinking of running 2 rings (42X32) with the 20 in the back and a Melvin tensioner. Has anyone done this and if so, do I have anything to watch out for (if you have pictures of your setup, that would be most appreciated). The Melvin can handle up to a 20 tooth difference...
Thanks!
I was using the Melvin w/ 48/36 up front w/ absolutely no problems. sram 8spd chain. sorry, the pics were lost in a hard drive crash.
The melvin is currently being neglected in a box whilst I'm working on another bike project.

edit-
ah found an old pic on one of my old threads w/ it in use on the commuter... 16t + schwalbe 2.35 big apple & supermoto for commute mode and I'd switch to a 20t w/ knobbies on the offroad wheelset.
http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=97758&stc=1&d=1124540166

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
They shift ok...

The SS rings shift ok...they shift a bit slower than a ramped and pined ring but still shift with out to much effort. I do use a friction shift lever instead on an indexed one but I don't think it would really make much of a difference. If you use it like I do you only shift the front rings maybe two or three times a ride anyway.

SIGMA said:
i have been looking for some odd size rings,but i thought they had to be ramped to shift with.do s.s. rings shift ok?

·
Registered
179 Posts
flipnidaho said:
Thanks! I have my eye on a Melvin.
I'm currently not using a tensioner on the bike I'll be taking on my trip since the 32X20 + worn chain + ghetto eno (filed the axle a few mm's = magic ratio. I'm hoping that a 38X14 (assuming I can get the 38 ring in 110 bcd and a 14t cog) will yield the same chain length. Kinda like the Eno double design.
hey flipnidaho, what make are those 'ssssweeeeeet' rear cogs with the drilled holes?

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
SIGMA said:
They shift OK, sort of. One problem - non-SS rings have a sideways ramp to prevent the chain from falling between two rings when downshifting. I can verify that the ramp is a nice thing to have.

·
on my 3rd wind...
1,827 Posts
madonenm said:
You are running three rings up front without issue?
No shiftting problem with ss chainring?
I am assuming the rear cog is aligned to middle ring?
Chain stays on the granny or Big ring OK?

I am asking because I have the parts to build two speed (two chain ring and one cog) mt bike using the Melvin tensioner but their website states that it is designed to tolerate only 5mm (+/-2.5mm) chainline.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Works just fine

My setup works just fine. As I mentioned above the shifting is a little slower but works well. For it to work with the three rings the chainline needs to be aligned with the middle ring which is the ring I use most offten anyway. The Melvin does have a little float in its pulleys and handles the shifting just fine. When I set the chain length I set it so that the when on the smal ring up front the Melvin was as slack as I could get it so that it would have the full range of motion to get to the larger ring (see the photo above). I have not had any probems with the granny or big ring (maybe because the derailleur makes a good chain guide).

P.S. The largest tooth gap I have done this with was a 22-33-38 (16 tooth) so I have not tried the full 20 tooth range claimed by Paul.

SingleTrackHound said:
You are running three rings up front without issue?
No shiftting problem with ss chainring?
I am assuming the rear cog is aligned to middle ring?
Chain stays on the granny or Big ring OK?

I am asking because I have the parts to build two speed (two chain ring and one cog) mt bike using the Melvin tensioner but their website states that it is designed to tolerate only 5mm (+/-2.5mm) chainline.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
SingleTrackHound said:
Thx.:thumbsup: Your setup has give me some new idea as to what two speed bike I will be building. I may experiment with different gear setup than yours but I really dig your three ring setup.
2X1 will just open up more trails to my SS that I can ride to instead of having to spin madly for 1 hour to get to the trailhead (or drive)...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.