Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally someone came up with a 2 ring chainguide that fits the BLT2 with NO SAWING OR HACKING!!!!

MRp 2x chainguide 36-38T verson. Works with 9 and 10 speed cranks. Fit Note: requires TWO 1mm spacers between the guide and the backplate for clearance of the lower link but the kit only comes with One 1mm spacer so source another from your lbs before your chainguide arrives to avoid any unexpected delays. MRP has A +++++ customer service, so if you have any questions they are very quick to get back with you.

Rest of my Rig:

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
Noah,
In the testing of this guide, have you guys ran into problems w/ rock strikes that rotates that tension pulley up into the space that the driveside stay would occupy when the bike is unloaded? I had a Stinger on my Blur LT carbon that, luckily it didn't move, took a rock hit and had me worried would cut into the carbon stay.

·
GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
3,844 Posts
problems w/ rock strikes that rotates that tension pulley
Rotation is a possibility on any BB mounted guide, for sure (it's obviously substantially less of an issue on ISCG and ISCG-05 mounted guides). On the 2x, the plastic inner wear plate and chain protrude higher than the backplate in the particular area in question, so I don't image the backplate "cutting" or damaging the chainstay in a rotation event is much of a risk, even on a carbon bike. I think that area of the frame would be pretty beefy as it subject to chainslap, rock pings, and heavy force loads anyway. Secondly, the layout of the 2x in that area seems to have a smaller footprint than the same area on a roller style guide, so it's likely it'll be more "tucked-away" and less vulnerable. If you're concerned about rotation, you could remove the skid from the 2x which would further limit the chances the guide would contact anything and rotate, but then you're risking damage to your rings.

Hope that helps! :thumbsup:

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
Rotation is a possibility on any BB mounted guide, for sure (it's obviously substantially less of an issue on ISCG and ISCG-05 mounted guides). On the 2x, the plastic inner wear plate and chain protrude higher than the backplate in the particular area in question, so I don't image the backplate "cutting" or damaging the chainstay in a rotation event is much of a risk, even on a carbon bike. I think that area of the frame would be pretty beefy as it subject to chainslap, rock pings, and heavy force loads anyway. Secondly, the layout of the 2x in that area seems to have a smaller footprint than the same area on a roller style guide, so it's likely it'll be more "tucked-away" and less vulnerable. If you're concerned about rotation, you could remove the skid from the 2x which would further limit the chances the guide would contact anything and rotate, but then you're risking damage to your rings.

Hope that helps! :thumbsup:
Is it possible for you to throw up some pics of the guide from a couple of perspectives? It's nice to see it on bike, but maybe what you said can be better visualized w/o the frame in the way? Thanx.

·
GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
3,844 Posts

Illustrating the wear plate's vertical protrusion.

Compared to LRP. Keep in mind that the chain will ride up on the LRP's roller and down on the 2x's pulley teeth. Also note that the LRP's back plate is sharp and exposed, and the 2x's is flat (the wear plate is taller).

It's not hard to make a guide that will fit every bike on the market - it's IMPOSSIBLE. That said, we've gone to great lengths to increase compatibility on the 2x vs. the LRP (most notably the smaller space requirement of the tensioner mechanism and the captured and flush hardware).

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
OP: from your judgement, if the guide was to rotate and the tension pulleys were to get shoved up thru rock/log contact, would the first point of contact between the rear triangle/chain stay and the guide be on the aluminum arm or the plastic pulley bits of the guide when the bike is unloaded?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting. I have a bash on my blur LT (all rock ledges in central texas...)

One of the issues I have is that there is a lot of chain slap on the blur, I am guessing that is because of the VPP. Does this help that issue? Are others seeing it?
Thats why i got it. I also have plans for an xtr shadow plus rear mech.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.