Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went into the LBS to purchase a pump to fill my upcoming Marzocchi air fork. I had a Manitou 0 - 175 psi pump in hand. LBS wrench told me I really should invest in 2 pumps. One pump up to 100 psi for + chambers & the Manitou for the - chambers. He stated the accuracy for pressures around 25 psi are not good on the 175 psi pumps - is there any truth to this ? I saw a Marzocchi pump that went to 175 psi ???

·
Registered
354 Posts
I use 100psi Marzocchi pump and it covers the air pressures for 66sl ATA nicely. A 300psi Fox pump didn't even react to first 5- 10psi, now with Marzocchi pump I set RC2 chamber to 5 or 8psi with no problems at all.
Sorry, I don't know what pressures other sl forks use.

·
long standing member
3,099 Posts
keen said:
LBS wrench told me I really should invest in 2 pumps...is there any truth to this ?
I'm trying to figure this out myself. From what I've heard...yes, it would be ideal to have a low pressure pump for the low pressure chambers and a high pressure pump for the negative. But I haven't been able to find a source for a low pressure (0 to 100 psi) pump. I don't even know if Marzocchi is still making them. The only pump they show on the website is the 200 PSI version. I gotta think that if Marzocchi is only making a 0 to 200 psi pump for their low pressue forks then it should be fairly accurate. Or maybe that's a bad assumption. Hopefully some users will chime in with their real-world pump experiences.

·
solid gold plated
878 Posts
i would definately reccommened a 100psi pump for the pos chambers. I tried using a 300psi pump to set up my fork and what i thought was actually 18-20psi was infact 35psi, once i got the 100psi though it was all fine.

in regards to finding an actual marzocchi 100psi pump, you could always try this

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=1109

think most of you guys are in the U.S. but ive been using these guys for ages, and they provide a very quick reliable service.

hope this helps.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
PC, is there not a shop in your area that orders from QBP? QBP is probably the biggest components wholesaler (shop order only) in the U.S. They carry the Buzzy's Pollenator 0-100psi pump that many use, me included. It costs the same as most of these 0-300psi pumps, so there's nothing special about it. If the name "Buzzy's" sounds cheezy, be aware that this is the company that has Slick Honey, which everyone knows is a quality product. I'd also suspect that a search would produce an e-tailer that carries this pump.

·
long standing member
3,099 Posts
TNC said:
PC, is there not a shop in your area that orders from QBP?
Yeah, I'm sure there is, I'll asked around. A dealer I asked just said the Marzocchi is only available in the 0-200psi, but Chain Reaction has it in the lower pressure version, so I'm not sure what's up with that either. Maybe the low pressure Zoke is only sold in Europe now? I'll ask around about the Buzzy. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
I'm sort of disappointed I just sprung for a Zoke pump and they only have 200PSI types now. It starts at 10psi and counts by 5.

It's much better for LP than my 300psi Nashbar pump, RS-Pike and Performance Hurricane pumps but still it would be nice to have a 100 or even a 50psi kind.

I found an old RS Mag-21 syringe pump in my parts box. It's rated to 50 PSI but the threads on the gaguge stem are slightly finer than the threads on my other pumps...no switchee yet but maybe I have enough stuff here to come up with something.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
keen said:
Do you think the Manitou SPV pump has enough accuracy for pressures around 25 psi vs. say a 100 psi pump ?
Probably not - depends on how it is graduated. I have the Zocchi 175psi so I kindof do it by feel anyway. who cares what the pump says, does it feel right? Too soft - add a pump. Too stiff - take some out.

Easy:rolleyes:

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
That depends if/how they graduate the pump as well.
It's easier to add a little bit with the Zoke even w/o looking at the gaguge.

·
Registered
9,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SSINGA said:
Probably not - depends on how it is graduated. I have the Zocchi 175psi so I kindof do it by feel anyway. who cares what the pump says, does it feel right? Too soft - add a pump. Too stiff - take some out.

Easy:rolleyes:
I like numbers... I even use / view my shifter gear indicators. Anyways that's what I have been doing with all my Marzocchi air assist forks, count the pumps on a 300 psi pump - just wanted to know what I am working with pressure wise.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
PCinSC said:
Yeah, I'm sure there is, I'll asked around. A dealer I asked just said the Marzocchi is only available in the 0-200psi, but Chain Reaction has it in the lower pressure version, so I'm not sure what's up with that either. Maybe the low pressure Zoke is only sold in Europe now? I'll ask around about the Buzzy. Thanks for the heads up.
This is for everybody-

You can go down to your local shop that does air hoses, compressers, etc and buy a guage to fit onto your 2nd pump if it doesn't have the pressure range you're looking for. Now, I know, if you're getting a new one, you might as well order what you need!
I paid under $10 for the one I bought to stick on an old rockshox mag pump I had laying around for a 0-100psi guage... they also had all the o-rings to rebuild just about any air pump you could have!

I'd asked the guys at the good local hardware store where to go and there were about 3 places close by in the 'industrial' part of town. I'm lucky enough to have one of those old time hardware stores w/ the older guys that know what you're looking for as long as you can explain/gesticulate/sketch it or take camera phone pic :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.