Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I have 2 months till my first race and haven't been doing any biking not going to use any excuses I have just been lazy. Am I too late to start training to be competitive??? What should I be doing to whip my shelf back into shape I can't hit the trails yet cause there not open but I do have a pugsley that will be giving me a beating in the next two months any help would be greatly appreciated I will be running citizen again this year as it's only my second year.

·
Registered
417 Posts
justin51 said:
OK I have 2 months till my first race and haven't been doing any biking not going to use any excuses I have just been lazy. Am I too late to start training to be competitive??? What should I be doing to whip my shelf back into shape I can't hit the trails yet cause there not open but I do have a pugsley that will be giving me a beating in the next two months any help would be greatly appreciated I will be running citizen again this year as it's only my second year.
just enough time to get into some shape. 6-8 weeks... only if you've had some fitness and skills

·
Ibexbiker
181 Posts
Check out the book "The Time Crunched Cyclist." I have used it with some sucess and I know others on here have as well.

Will you be successful? Well that depends on a lot of variables. Who is in your race? How fit are you? We know you haven't been riding but have you been doing other aerobic activities to give ourself some sort of starting point? In the past few years have you riden a lot or just the weekend warrior type? The list goes on. Just have realistic expectations and have fun. If your racing citizen class I wouldn't stress too much. Chances are there will be a handful of guys that should be moving up a class that are sandbagging it and then a handful of weekend warriors and then maybe a few newbs.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Time Crunch Cyclist is fine, if you just wanna peak in 8-11 weaks. The book explains that most people pretty much blow up at some point in there, then you need to take a break from the intensity for like a month or so... So in prime riding season.

Just start riding, get in some moderate miles for a month, then start doing some higher intensity once you have some fitness built up. Unless you are trying PEAK and don't care about after your peak, I don't recommend the TC approach. Specially if you are not in great shape, I guess you would burn out even faster.

·
Registered
132 Posts
How long time wise was the 10 - 12 mile ride? 1 hour? That can be normal if you are going too hard.

Good rule of thumb is make your longest rides about 1.5 X 2 times longer than the "time" you race for. Don't base rides on distance, cause 1 mile uphill is a lot more work than 1 mile downhill. So it you race for 90 minutes on average - try to build up to doing a 3 hour ride.

I am guessing you just aren't riding long enough or often enough. But everyone is diff.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
newtrailhead said:
How long time wise was the 10 - 12 mile ride? 1 hour? That can be normal if you are going too hard.

Good rule of thumb is make your longest rides about 1.5 X 2 times longer than the "time" you race for. Don't base rides on distance, cause 1 mile uphill is a lot more work than 1 mile downhill. So it you race for 90 minutes on average - try to build up to doing a 3 hour ride.

I am guessing you just aren't riding long enough or often enough. But everyone is diff.
Yeah citizen is only about 12 mile races. If I don't keep up with the pace I go I don't do well so I should up my ride times to atleast 2 hours. Also ride more and do interval training?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.