Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gonna be taking classes in dublin from may through july and I I know I'm gonna want a bike there. I called my airline and as long as I preformed the usual take off the pedals turn the handlebars and box it up they would bring it as one of my checked bags for no extra charge. (I would however have to pay extra to get it from syracuse to JFK ~$50 each way)

the question becomes which bike to bring: High end hardtail , Singlespeed or roadbike or should I save up some cash and buy an Orange or Muddy Fox or something that would have an increased coolness factor when I brought it back to the states?

·
Registered
553 Posts
I spent a year in Cork Ireland (UCC), and toured a lot of the countryside with a friend of mine on rented bikes. The west is gorgeous.

Are you looking to do city riding or mountainbiking. I am not sure if you have been there before, but dublin is your average big urban city. Do you know what riding is available over there? In the west of ireland, there was not a lot of visible trail riding. Most of what we did was on carriage paths and rural roads (round abouts are a little tricky until you get used to people driving on the left).

I say try to get in touch with some riders over there so they can give you advice on what riding is around, and bring your own bike. The dollar is pretty weak right now. Maybe build that Trek 7000 up with some slicks for country road cruising and bring some knobs for trail bashing if you find some. Enjoy your time.

GF

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
new bike, new bike!!!

Time for a new bike!
b1kerjake said:
I'm gonna be taking classes in dublin from may through july and I I know I'm gonna want a bike there. I called my airline and as long as I preformed the usual take off the pedals turn the handlebars and box it up they would bring it as one of my checked bags for no extra charge. (I would however have to pay extra to get it from syracuse to JFK ~$50 each way)

the question becomes which bike to bring: High end hardtail , Singlespeed or roadbike or should I save up some cash and buy an Orange or Muddy Fox or something that would have an increased coolness factor when I brought it back to the states?

·
my girl rides also
650 Posts
Def. go for the new-euro-bike-cool-factor. I love those Oranges.

And while you're over there, represent the "Ugly American" by repeatedly going up to women and using this line...."Girl, you must be Irish, because my penis is DUB-lin!" Sometimes there's a lot of crying and mace involved, but once your eyes clear up, it'll be all good.....

·
Registered
359 Posts
Lucky SOB

Man I wish I could come along :( Bring the hardtail you can always throw on some slicks and ride the roads.. The exchange rate is not to good right now so buying new when you get there will be expensive, if it was reversed I'd say buy for sure.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Edit:this was a response to the post about lines for irish women.

If you want to really be a pig ask them about their fanny pack. (do not do this with anyone you hope to talk to again). I had some awkward moments in Cork before my Irish buddies filled me in.

Enjoy the craic.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't wait to get there, its gonna be alot of fun. Another option I thought up this afternoon was to bring a fork, maybe wheels and components that I still need off ebay and just buy a frame once I get there. Are parts in general cheaper over here or are we still at a disadvantage because of the exchange rate?

Those orange P7s' are looking pretty good right now

·
Registered
553 Posts
b1kerjake said:
I can't wait to get there, its gonna be alot of fun. Another option I thought up this afternoon was to bring a fork, maybe wheels and components that I still need off ebay and just buy a frame once I get there. Are parts in general cheaper over here or are we still at a disadvantage because of the exchange rate?

Those orange P7s' are looking pretty good right now
I am not sure how the relative prices compare. when I was there the exchange rate was about 1.5 irish pounds to one dollar, and prices on a lot of things were pretty reasonable, if not down right cheap. However, Ireland has undergone a bit of an economic revolution in the past ten years, and that probably affected the prices. They also switched to the euro, and the dollar is weak in general,a nd they are an island country with a smaller population. I am not an economist, but all of that suggests to me that the prices for items like bikes and frames may be a bit more expensive than they are here. I could be way off base.

Here is a web page that may have folks that can help you better than I.
It is a dublin cycling advocacy group:(mostly commuting and cycling rights)

http://home.connect.ie/dcc/

You might want to drop some posts on the single track forum, it is british, and likely has some irish members, or folks that are familiar with dublin. On-one also has a forum page.

You will have a blast. Just do not ask people if you can get a ride downtown, ask for a lift instead. Unless, of course, you are into rides downtown.

GF

Edit: another link more MTB related: http://www.mtbireland.com/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.