Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had 2 xml in single housings, one bar and one helmet. They were on their own drivers at around 2 amps.

If i series the leds and run off one driver they wont be any brighter right? Going to combine them into a bar light and use my ssx2 on my helmet.

Thanks.

·
Registered
324 Posts
If you want a brighter light. you need to get more amps to the led. Diminishing returns though - with an XM-L 2A to 3A is 50% more power, but only ~30% more light & a bunch more heat, if your housings are up to it.

Running a single driver may be more efficient, depending on the set up, but that goes to run time rather than brightness

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
14.4v right now but will be building a another soon at a lower voltage.

I doubt I could handle the xtra heat at this point . Driver starts at 2.3 but quickly levels off at 2.

My set up looks sooo ghrtto right now, I cant handle it. Might be time for easy 2 led housing as I have no means to make a nice housing.

·
No talent hack
1,118 Posts
I like the Amoeba style light myself. It really doesn't require anything fancy. 1" square aluminum tubing and lexan is all I used for my first bike light (my first light was a lawn mower headlight built in a bigger case). $4.72 on Amazon (prime shipping) gets you enough aluminum to make 3-4 2 LED lights like this:

I think I used about 3.5 inches of tube. The tube can be had cheaper if you buy longer lengths... I bought 60" for like $15 shipped.

Make no mistake, the Easy2LED body is nice, but you shouldn't think you NEED fancy machines to make a decent light.

$4.72 for the tube (Amazon)
$4.75 for the black tube plugs (Amazon)

Enough to build several lights. I have mine mounted using one of Vancbiker's gopro mounts and an aluminum gopro mount from fastTech (or DX) light this:

Going to build another light SOON to play with some other options of "optics" for my road bike.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How is the heat on the amoebs? I would like to run 2-2.5 on a triple XML. Not sure the easy2led would be any better for heat though.

·
No talent hack
1,118 Posts

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually have one of those. It turns out the internet modems I install have those inside...... I guess the next one I get that is broken is going back the factory a little lighter :p

But seriously, thoses are cheap enough to tack on to an order. If those are enough to run at 3a (2 to 3 xml) then I will just do that. Can be done with the tools I have.

Here is the build I copied, Puckedup did a build that used alu conduiat and it does great for sheding heat. I also like the ease of changing optics if need be. Only issue is I dont want to use the alu tubes anymore.

Any ideas of housing on these?
http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-diy-do-yourself/very-easy-xm-l-build-805894.html

for a quick put together lasy night, I have them mounted on a L shaped alu braket with the driver and switch at the batt pack, I dont like it that way but I had no options for a housing on short notice.

The amoeba style look like the way to go for me.....or just buy a 4 xml solarstorm

·
No talent hack
1,118 Posts
I liked the conduit set up puckedup put together. It is a pretty nice looking and easy light, but the cost of the materials was considerably higher for me over the amoeba. Either light produces a good result though, so you would be hard pressed to go wrong.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts