Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Subaru Outback and the only hitch that I can find for it is 1.25". I want to put a 2" hitch on it to carry a 2 tray bike rack. Has anyone had a custom hitch made? If I can't find one, I will probably buy the U-Haul 1.25" hitch and bring it to my welding shop and have a 2" attached to it. I won't be towing with this car, I just want it to fit my existing 2" rack.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't want to use an adapter because I want to lock it to my car. I suppose I could use two locks... The guys at 1up USA didn't seem to like the idea of using an adapter. I also imagine there would be more play using an adapter.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I use an adapter on my liberty 2" to extend it and adapt out to a 1.25" rack. The racks often include a provision for anti-slop like a bolt, so tighten it to one end of the assembly and have a long-tail for the whole thing. They make good lockable bolt kits as well, but beware that you get what you pay for. A walmart grade one fell apart once while I was pulling a trailer. Fortunately I was able to stop it with the safety chains still attached.

One thing I did to my adapter was weld small bumps on the end to simulate shims. A little rattle is not a bad thing though if it is not excessive. The movement relieves some of the forces the hold-downs would have to take.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I weld my 2" hitch adapter to the stock rack but I did not do it it right (I was lazy and scare of ruining the rack) so it seats to low to the ground plus sticks really far back too, no bueno..

Someday I will cut the stock rack in half and weld the 2" adapter as far back as possible so stays as high/forward as possible..

·
Registered
560 Posts
I know this is an old post....here's what I did. I have a 03' Outback. Went to the salvage yard and got a Draw-Tite off of a 97-98 Subaru Just had to drill one hole on hitch and grind a little metal off for charcoal canister. Hitch goes under versus over the muffler is which the new ones do. Then used a adapter. $40 at savage yard vs $160 new.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.