Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Subaru Outback and the only hitch that I can find for it is 1.25". I want to put a 2" hitch on it to carry a 2 tray bike rack. Has anyone had a custom hitch made? If I can't find one, I will probably buy the U-Haul 1.25" hitch and bring it to my welding shop and have a 2" attached to it. I won't be towing with this car, I just want it to fit my existing 2" rack.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't want to use an adapter because I want to lock it to my car. I suppose I could use two locks... The guys at 1up USA didn't seem to like the idea of using an adapter. I also imagine there would be more play using an adapter.

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
It won't be the prettiest looking, but it'll be the cheapest route. Use an adapter and coke can shims to keep everything tight, then a couple locks for security.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I use an adapter on my liberty 2" to extend it and adapt out to a 1.25" rack. The racks often include a provision for anti-slop like a bolt, so tighten it to one end of the assembly and have a long-tail for the whole thing. They make good lockable bolt kits as well, but beware that you get what you pay for. A walmart grade one fell apart once while I was pulling a trailer. Fortunately I was able to stop it with the safety chains still attached.

One thing I did to my adapter was weld small bumps on the end to simulate shims. A little rattle is not a bad thing though if it is not excessive. The movement relieves some of the forces the hold-downs would have to take.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Try Torklift. I'm looking at them for a 2" hitch for a Prius. If they don't have one for your car they probably soon will. Clunky website in my view, but keep rummaging.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I know this is an old post....here's what I did. I have a 03' Outback. Went to the salvage yard and got a Draw-Tite off of a 97-98 Subaru Just had to drill one hole on hitch and grind a little metal off for charcoal canister. Hitch goes under versus over the muffler is which the new ones do. Then used a adapter. $40 at savage yard vs $160 new.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts