Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Custom User Title
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just broke my second frame. Apparently it had been cracked for a while and I did not catch it. It was my favorite bike and I rode it like there was no tomorrow. I just can't see myself buying another one. I am taking this so called opportunity to venture to another brand. I don't know how the warranty will be handled since this frame is over 2.5 years old. That discussion is for anther topic.

Even though this is my second frame to brake I will not bash these bikes. It was the ID that brought my riding level to a point to where I am now. Then the Moment took it one(many) steps further. I still have my Dare and I will use that as my trail bike until my sweet baby is replaced.

Here are the pictures I took trail side.

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
2 frames 2 chainstays in 4 years.
sorry for you
probably you must change for a rogue

I cant imagine what we had to do to broak a moment
use it in free ride with a wrong spring and a 180mm fork

personaly i ride ellsworth cince 14 years 2 or 3 times / week
XC, allmountain, free ride and DH
I had 70 different personal ellsworth and I never broak anny thing

after 14 years distribution off ellsworth bikes in to france
we just have 3 or 4 ICT (4 bars) (2 truth and 2 id) main frame broaken
less than 1% !
never one dare, never one epiphany, never one rogue, never one moment

about the chain stay, ok in past we had few probleme and Ellsworth waranty all
now cince 3 years they do all at ellsworth factory ne never had a problem
but probably here when I sell a ellsworth I know exactly what the custumer
will do with his bike and I advise them well

·
Custom User Title
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The worst thing about this is that it is the old JRA story.

I was riding and wiped out in a corner. dusted off and started to ride again. I went through a dip/ravine and while pedaling out the frame just snapped. no creaking, no warning, nothing. At first I thought I broke a chain. Then looked down and thought I broke my XT cranks. But, I saw the crank arms on both sides.

The good thing about it is that this didn't happen during the ride the day before. I was hitting the trail jumps and log piles like I usually do. All in all it failed at just about the most convenient time.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
BOSS said:
personaly i ride ellsworth cince 14 years 2 or 3 times / week
XC, allmountain, free ride and DH
I had 70 different personal ellsworth and I never broak anny thingl
If you averaged 2.5 rides per week, times 52 weeks per year, times 14 years, that's 1,820 total rides. Divided among 70 bikes, that's only 26 rides per bike. No wonder they didn't break. :lol:

·
Registered
115 Posts
First time for me to see a broken Moment front triangle . I have been thinking that Moments were pretty sturdy and bombproof until that pic . You think it could be a case of a crack starting from the welds , or is it metal fatigue in the tubes ?

What replacements are you considering ? Nomad , Gwapo , Evo , Mojo ?

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
Is the Head angle on the Re-designed 6.6 slacker? It use to be very XC oriented. Also a little bird told me the Nomad is getting the treatment. Ala BLT2.

·
Custom User Title
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TIMBERRR said:
Is the Head angle on the Re-designed 6.6 slacker? It use to be very XC oriented. Also a little bird told me the Nomad is getting the treatment. Ala BLT2.
It's not as slack as the Moment was (i think). I have a buddy with a Nomad, an older one, and I did not like the way the steering was. It was too floppy. Kinda like an xc bike with a 200mm fork.

I wonder if I get a prize for breaking the first Moment front triangle?

If I am the first.

·
ZEN RIDER!
950 Posts
Cold, have you ridden an Intense? I've owned 2 & while they are a rigid frame & well built I have yet to find one that climbs well, atleast for NE riding. Plus the VPP for where I ride isn't what I would call steller & i think in part it has an effect on how it climbs.
The Moment on the other hand is the best climbing bike I've ever ridden, plus it doesn't suffer from brake jack like the VPP. I know different suspension design work better in different regions, so take that for whats it worth. But I've had the experience to ride both styles back to back & for me there is a huge difference between the 2.

·
Custom User Title
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mt. B E I have three fellow riders on 6.6's. I'm in chicago and well it's fairly flat. No really big sustained climbs. I agree that the Moment is a great climber if setup right, shock wise. I figure that goes for almost any bike. I have not heard back from EW yet on what they are going to do so I haven't completely ruled out a gen III frame.

iridetitus said:
seek the knolly.
Weigh the Knolly ;) I forgot about them, but I do mostly trail riding. Anything bigger I'll break out the Dare.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Have you tried warranting it ? If they dont change it maybe they will offer to sell you a front triangle . I wonder if a Rev3 Front would work with the older rockers and stays

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ditch Ellsworth, go Turner. You'll never run in to unreasonable replacement problems with them...or breakage to begin with now that I think about it.

Take the 500+ you'll save on the frame and upgrade to an X.0 drive train.

Or, if you like a pretty anodized paint job that will rot in the sun, stick with Blingworth.

·
keepin' it rural
488 Posts
Horst Linked said:
Ditch Ellsworth, go Turner. You'll never run in to unreasonable replacement problems with them...or breakage to begin with now that I think about it.

Take the 500+ you'll save on the frame and upgrade to an X.0 drive train.

Or, if you like a pretty anodized paint job that will rot in the sun, stick with Blingworth.
oh for crying out loud!! can there be one thread in this forum without this crap!...go away

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.