Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I am getting a new wheel built. I have the option of choosing between 2 cross over spoke pattern or 3? What are the advantages or disadvantages of either option?

Building up a rear wheel for my Freeride bike so a solid construction is required.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Karve said:
Ok so I am getting a new wheel built. I have the option of choosing between 2 cross over spoke pattern or 3? What are the advantages or disadvantages of either option?

Building up a rear wheel for my Freeride bike so a solid construction is required.

Any help appreciated

Thanks
For best torque transmission--drive and braking (with hub brakes)--you should use the most crosses possible. For 28 and 32 spoke wheels that is 3X.

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
Karve said:
.. so they offer a stiffer wheel I guess..
I don't think that's quite true. Spokes that are more 'tangential' transmit torque (braking; accelerating) better than less tangential spokes (radial, x1, x2).

Anything other than x3, for any purpose, gives more benefits in the latte shop than it does on road or trail. My observation!

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Karve said:
Ah cool stuff.. so they offer a stiffer wheel I guess.. ill go for that then :)
Does not make the wheel vertically or laterally "stiffer." The increased tangental angle of more crosses reduces wind up because of rotational forces (drive and braking) which can make for a more durable wheel (which is different than strong or stiff).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.