Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to build up a disc wheelset for agressive xc use. I am thinking of using a 2 cross/3 cross lacing pattern with;
Rear: 3 cross on the drive side, 2 cross on the non-drive side (disc brake side), and
Front: 3 cross on the disc brake side, 2 cross on the non-disc brake side.
The goal of this lacing pattern is to minimize the spoke tension difference between one side of the wheel compared to the other side due to the uneven offset of the hub flanges. This is explained better here:

http://www.geocities.com/spokeanwheel/lacingsr.htm#23

Has anyone else tried this lacing pattern? How much will the difference in spoke tension be reduced? Are there any negatives to doing this other than the possibility of losing some torque transfer properties due to 2 cross instead of 3 cross pattern?

What are evreyone's thoughts on this?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
It will make little difference in the tension balance and the 2x spokes will be less able to transmit torque loads.

I have built some mixed cross disc wheels the other way: Front 2X disc, 3X right and rear 3X disc and 1X drive. Spoke tensions are basically the same as full 3X wheels and they are working fine. I did it to try to move more of the torsional braking load to the less stressed/lower tensioned spokes similar to Mavic's crossed left/radial driveside road wheels (and because I could).

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
GearHead said:
...Front: 3 cross on the disc brake side, 2 cross on the non-disc brake side...
I have seen this pattern used on Dave Thomas wheels for a 200 lb+ riders on a 5-6" travel bikes. The rears were 3 cross on both sides.
shiggy said:
...rear 3X disc and 1X drive ... similar to Mavic's crossed left/radial driveside road wheels (and because I could)...
Rim brake ust Crossmax come the same way. I couldn't feel a difference in those wheels but at the time it seemed to go against all the rules.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.