Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, you'll find below the parts of my bike. The question is if you had a small (less than 200$) amount of cash what would you change on this bike to gain on performance and weight of course?

Frame Optimo Mountain about 1530g
Fork HeadShok Super Fatty Ultra DL - 1260g
Rims Mavic XM819 disc, 24 hole about 930g/2
Hubs Cannondale Wind disc about 180gAV/about 300g= about480g/2
Spokes DT Super Comp 240g/2 roues
Tires Hutchinson Python Light UST, 26 x 2.0" 1295g/2
Pedals Crank Brothers Candy SL 2004 299g
Crank Shimano XT, 22/32/44 760g
Chain Shimano 9-Speed about 290g
Rear Cogs Shimano XT, 11-34 294g w/ lockring
Bottom Bracket Shimano XT 105g
Front Derailleur Shimano XT 167g
Rear Derailleur Shimano XTR 265g
Shifters Shimano XT dual control 450g
Handlebars Cannondale Wind Carbon about 160g
Stem Cannondale HeadShok Si 100mm about 170g
Headset Cannondale HeadShok Si about 60g
Brakeset Shimano XT about 577g/2
Brakelevers Shimano XT dual control
Saddle Fi'zi:k Plateau 266g
Seat Post Cannondale Wind Carbon 185g
Grip : about : 60g
Seat post clamp : 23g
Chain stay protector : about 22g

yeah I know many of the weights aren't right feel free to correct them

·
Registered
779 Posts
switch to regular tires and a tubeless kit ( ive been inquiring about this lately, and im impressed with my findings, so im going to start recommending it to everyone!)
Either stans or eclipse
and regular pythons
you could save about 125-200grams in rotating weight, theres your performance.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Exustar Ti pedals would save you about 60-80 grams over the candys. Cost should be ~US$120. I prefer their feel to the Eggbeater Cs I had before.

You could switch to a 11-32 cassette and an al lockring, save you 45gr for ~US$70.

Titec Pork rinds would save you 40 grams or Ritchey WCS foams for a 20gr saving. The Ritchey grips are a bit more comfortable, cost should be US$10-20.

A not so cheap upgrade would be the wheels, american classic disc weighs in at 1.5kg and costs about US$400.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I'm very happy with them. More support than eggbeaters (larger platform) and a more 'positive' engage and release system.

My only problem with them is that - unlike eggbeaters - you can disengage from them while pulling up hard, especially if you are applying force not straight up but slightly to one side. Tightening the mechanism makes it harder to pop out, but it is still possible. It's a rare problem though, and they are great apart from that.

The other thing to watch is that the claimed weight doesn't include cleats, and exustar cleats are heavier than eggbeater cleats. I think the difference is about 15 grams/pair, as the exustar cleats are very similar to shimano cleats.

·
Registered
970 Posts
firstly foam grips, cheap, light and comfortable.

i've then got four ideas, all are best done when parts wear out.

1- standard tyres with sealant. as you're running UST rims you don't need rimstrips. get standard pythons (or racing ralph's or karma's) with a scoop of stan's sealant and you'll save 100 grams at each tyre

2- road cassette - 12-27 ultegra is 220 grams, dura-ace is 180 and saves 75-115 grams

3- kmc x10 chain - drop another 60 grams

4- dura-ace rear derailleur - 180 grams, drop another 80 odd.

you'll also save alot of weight at a later date by going with non UST rims, those mavic UST rims are heavy with their little nipple inserts. you could easily drop half a kilo off your wheelset.

then of course getting an easton ec90 or raceface next sl handlebar drops 60 grams.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.