Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Stock XT chainrings 22-32
I just made the switch, but considering the intense steep short climbs around here I'll probably keep it this way, at least until I buy some steroids. <G>

·
Registered
691 Posts
Race Face Next LP (Compact) Crankset: with the stock 22T-32T rings and an Evil Thirteen bashring in place of the 44T ring. I virtually never miss having the big chainring, and when you take a good look at the bashring, you can see why my big rings used to end up with 39-40 teeth so quickly.

John W.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Call me lazy, but I still haven't made the switch from stock gearing when I put my BG on the Spot. Check out this thread, there might be some additional info.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome, thanks for the replies

I was searching some other boards for bashguard information, and it seemed that a lot of people were running 28-38. I've got 22-32 from the LX cranks, and would prefer to not buy new chainrings to replace my already unused chainrings if I could avoid it.

Of course, I know it all comes down to terrain, riding style and individual preference, but I just wanted to get a feeler. I've yet to get my new 5 Spot on the trail, but hope to do so two weeks from Sunday. I wish it could be sooner, but other obligations keep me from going out this weekend or the next.

On a continued note, what size Evil Supercharger bashguard with the 32-tooth middle chainring? Urban for 36T or Trials 32T? How much above the 32-tooth chainring does the 32T Supercharger stick up?

thanks,

John

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Good luck getting anything smaller than the 36T supercharger. E-13 said they're too busy to make anything else. The 36T is very tall...see the XT Bashring thread below. It's not really a problem at that size but if you were expecting it to be close to the middle chainring, note that it's closer to the 44T big ring in diameter. Just shy of the teeth. Again that's not a problem, just be aware.

Here's the thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=275716#post275716

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Doh!

I found that thread about 5 minutes after posting my second question. I had seen it a couple times before, yet somehow I had never noticed that it had a 2nd page. Thanks again.

John

·
Registered
730 Posts
24/36 works well for me good spread of gears with an 11-34 cassette.

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
Bikezilla said:
Good luck getting anything smaller than the 36T supercharger. E-13 said they're too busy to make anything else. The 36T is very tall...see the XT Bashring thread below. It's not really a problem at that size but if you were expecting it to be close to the middle chainring, note that it's closer to the 44T big ring in diameter. Just shy of the teeth. Again that's not a problem, just be aware.

Here's the thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=275716#post275716
...........I would recommend calling around to a couple places known to stock DH/ FR stuff such as Go-Ride & others. they more than likely may have a couple smaller SC's available. Worth a shot. I know from a XC perspective, the smaller OD seems to be warranted, but truly the application of the E13 supercharger is better utilized with some more ring clearance. I use the stock 36T on one of my rides & clearance has never been an issue. I slam stuff all the time, that could potentially mar/ dent the BB tube area of my frame, without ever even bothering the frame. If you are real aggressive, the 36T is ideal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts