Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've currently got an '02 Specialized S-Works FSR. This was the year before the "epic" came out. I'm wondering if it would be "stupid" of me to sale my 02 frame (as I've actually been racing my H/T more this year anyway) and look at getting an epic frame. Am I turning into my wife just to spend money? I've been pretty successful on this bike in the past; and I can manipulate the rear shock to not have that much bob in it, but I keep thinking an Epic or NRS or Fuel might be that much faster? (That; and after finishing right behind another guy last year he told me I'd have went off and left him if I'd have been on a hard tail. I soon thereafter put my 75 mm rear adjustment on, removing the 90 mm.)

I put this post in this section because it's used mainly by racers, which is my only reasoning for possibly changing. My current bike weighs approx 24.5 lbs. I realize this is kind of personal choice, but do any of you deem this worthwhile to even consider.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
SlowMo said:
I've currently got an '02 Specialized S-Works FSR. This was the year before the "epic" came out. I'm wondering if it would be "stupid" of me to sale my 02 frame (as I've actually been racing my H/T more this year anyway) and look at getting an epic frame. Am I turning into my wife just to spend money? I've been pretty successful on this bike in the past; and I can manipulate the rear shock to not have that much bob in it, but I keep thinking an Epic or NRS or Fuel might be that much faster? (That; and after finishing right behind another guy last year he told me I'd have went off and left him if I'd have been on a hard tail. I soon thereafter put my 75 mm rear adjustment on, removing the 90 mm.)

I put this post in this section because it's used mainly by racers, which is my only reasoning for possibly changing. My current bike weighs approx 24.5 lbs. I realize this is kind of personal choice, but do any of you deem this worthwhile to even consider.

Thanks.
Get your shocked Pushed for $140 and lose the "bob". No new bike needed.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mward said:
I'd find a used epic frame on ebay and transfer all your parts to that. The only thing that isn't going to go is the front derailleur. Epics are bottom pulls. I've got 2 epics, love em.
Bottom pull- Not e-type of bottom brackets I assume. That's another problem I have, I can't seem to keep the front derailler adjusted like I should. I don't like the e-type "stuff".

Also, I've never heard of this "push"? Do I send this in to Fox and they'll take care of that. (another assumption)

·
Complete Bastard
2,282 Posts
Not E-type, no, it clamps the seat tube. 34.9 clamp diameter, bottom pull.

Push is a company that does mods to shocks. You can get them to add propedal valving to your shock so it'll ride like the new stumpies. I'm not sure, on this bike, how great of a mod that would be since the short stroke length of the shock limits the effectiveness of pro-pedal. You notice they redesigned the SJ frame for 04, that's because of the need for a longer shock stroke to work efficiently.

Personally I didn't care for the rear triangle stiffness on the pre 04(or pre03 epic) series of bikes. The shock link is pretty wimpy compared to the 04 stuff, and the back end on mine always felt kind of loose on descents when the rear end was really active. But I'm a big guy too, smaller guys may not notice it.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
Push website...

http://www.pushindustries.com/

Push does full custom modification of Fox shocks. Not only do they add the pedal platform, they add a new 2 stage damping piston which drastically improves the performance of the shock. Everything is setup just for you and your bike. After the upgrade, the shock not only firmer pedaling but soaks up the trail much better as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts