Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 6'1" and have a couple of 29ers but I have two friends that are not as tall that want the best all around 27.5 out there. carbon a pus, maybe 120mm travel? maybe some endurance events , great overall trail bike for the DC area, some rocks and roots. If they wanted a 29er I would push to epic, camber, tallboy c....but they don't . what is the best for the $ and why?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I am 6'1" and have a couple of 29ers but I have two friends that are not as tall that want the best all around 27.5 out there. carbon a pus, maybe 120mm travel? maybe some endurance events , great overall trail bike for the DC area, some rocks and roots. If they wanted a 29er I would push to epic, camber, tallboy c....but they don't . what is the best for the $ and why?
Any $4K bike with be awesome. Depends on rider preference, type of trails, if you care more about pedaling up or going down. IMO you can't go wrong with ANY 4K bike. The question is what bike shouldn't you get for $4K. That list will be shorter.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I've seen a few long-travel 27.5 bikes thrown out as recommendations... for the riding you mention, I'd stick to 120mm. Many forget that the larger wheel requires less travel. A 160mm 27.5 bike is overkill for a majority of 'trail' riding, unless you're riding really gnarly stuff in AZ, CO, UT, etc.

I just built a new 27.5 Turner Flux. With 120mm travel, great geometry and a DW link rear end, I'm in trail-ripping heaven. This bike rips, and Turner is best in the business when it comes to supporting their customers. Plus, Turners handle great and last forever. Check out the Turner Flux 3.0 Build Thread in the Turner forum for a few tasty examples.

As a close second, I'd also highly recommend the SC 5010. VPP2 is a different feel than DW, but SC really nailed it on this bike.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.