Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i've been looking around trying to decide what to get. While i would like a FS i realize i am new to this and can get a HT with good components for the same price or cheaper that most basic FS's. So right now i'm looking at the ibex comp x7 and the IH warrior expert (2006) on rscycle.com. I know i'm new to this but why does ibex only offer 80mm forks is that to little? Visually i like the look of the IH more and its cheaper but if it's worth it then i'll get the ibex. So i would like your opinions on these 2 bikes and if you know of any others with good components please don't hesitate to let me know about them. Thanks in advance.

· Cuánto pesa?
7,730 Posts
Hi z28steve,

z28steve said:
well i've been looking around trying to decide what to get. While i would like a FS i realize i am new to this and can get a HT with good components for the same price or cheaper that most basic FS's. So right now i'm looking at the ibex comp x7 and the IH warrior expert (2006) on rscycle.com. I know i'm new to this but why does ibex only offer 80mm forks is that to little? Visually i like the look of the IH more and its cheaper but if it's worth it then i'll get the ibex. So i would like your opinions on these 2 bikes and if you know of any others with good components please don't hesitate to let me know about them. Thanks in advance.
You already know my suggestion so I'll just hook up a link so everybody can see one of the bikes your thinking on :D CLICK> 07' Trophy Comp X7 Blow-Out Sale: $699

An 80mm fork is common on XC bikes with a frame geometry that's geared towards racing. I personally use a 100mm to compensate for the sag that my Clydesdale arse puts into a fork :smilewinkgrin:

I also should mention that the SRAM X7 group on this bike is the new 07's :yesnod:

Glad to see your still thinking about IBEX :thumbsup:

Happy shopping..

Jake :ihih:

· Registered
1,856 Posts
The Ibex is a lot lighter first of all.
The Iron horse will be 32 pounds or so. while the Ibex is 26 pounds..
Thats a 6 pound drop, which is quite a huge difference for only $200.
The Iron horse SAYS its an XC bike, but it is waay too heavy to be a XC bike.
Fork travel just depends on the kind of riding you do, 80mm is sufficient for crosscountry riding, and some drops.
If $500 is your budget, get the Iron Horse, its good for 500.
But if you can pay $700, get the Ibex, because $200 in ugprades won't make you drop 6 pounds off your bike.

Basically, get the most you can with your budget, it will save you money in the long run instead of continually upgrading a lower end bike.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So the fork on the IH is a POS? How does it compare to the fork on the comp x7? I like the fact that it has more travel in it. By the way i'm 6' and about 160lbs. I don't plan on riding anything too extreme, but i know i will probably be taking some jumps. As far as that goes i do now how to land so having that experience and the fact that i don't weigh too much shouldn't be that big of an issue. Thanks for your replies and keep them coming.

· Registered
1,856 Posts
z28steve said:
So the fork on the IH is a POS? How does it compare to the fork on the comp x7? I like the fact that it has more travel in it. By the way i'm 6' and about 160lbs. I don't plan on riding anything too extreme, but i know i will probably be taking some jumps. As far as that goes i do now how to land so having that experience and the fact that i don't weigh too much shouldn't be that big of an issue. Thanks for your replies and keep them coming.
Its not a POS, it's just lower in grade than a Rockshox Tora.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.