Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m getting from the interwebs that based on my weight (190#s) that I should be in the 15-18 psi range on my 2.8 tubeless. I feel like I understand why this is a good thing in terms of traction... but doesn’t that slow you down also in terms of drag?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As a follow up to this ... I’m also using very narrow rims. I upgraded to to the 2.8s from the 2.4s that were factory installed. I noticed that my wife’s bike has very wide rims. Should I be running at a higher pressure based on narrow rims??

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you are worried about rolling resistance, why did you go 2.8 in the first place?
What is the internal width of the rim?
Check your rim manufacturer website. They usually have recommended tire width.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Because rolling resistance is only part of the equation and there were other things attractive about them?

If you are worried about rolling resistance, why did you go 2.8 in the first place?
What is the internal width of the rim?
Check your rim manufacturer website. They usually have recommended tire width.

·
Registered
9,283 Posts
I don't have a ton of experience w/ 2.8's but this was my initial impression. 2.8 WTB ranger mounted on a 27mm ID rim, yes narrow but I planned on switching to a 35mm ID or larger rim. My goal was more cushion, in the rear, than my current 2.3 tire. After playing with pressures and taking a few trips to the local singletrack I concluded the 2.8 wasn't going to add the cush I desired. Traction was up but it just felt labored putting around. From my experience narrow rims decrease the tires footprint which decreases rolling resistance. Going to a wider rim would probably give a little more cush but better traction and even slower rolling. F-2.6 R-2.35 for the compromise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts