Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I have a Vitus Sentier and love the cushioning and traction of the 2,6" Magic mary/Nobby nic compared to my previous bike with thinner tires.

My Vitus has 29mm id rims and my question is, can i put the same 2,8" tires on the rims without any problems? The bike will take the tires without problems.

Appreciate any help!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Yeah you'll be fine. I run a Maxxis DHF 2.8 on i30 Velocity P35 rims on my SS. The profile is a little rounder but not in a bad way. I wouldn't go any wider on these rims.

·
XC iconoclast
Church of Real Metal
2,198 Posts
Wouldn't a narrower rim have a tendency to cause roll over?
It really depends on how thick the tire is, the psi, and whether it's tubeless or not, as far as I can guess from what I've experienced and read. If someone has a single-casing, tubeless tire that they are going really fast with in a corner, like over 15-20 mph, sure it could roll over on itself. If someone is riding normally, I really don't think so. I'm currently testing a Maxxis Minion 2.8 on a 21mm rim with a tube, and not taking corners fast, and it is just fine, zero problems. Basically one could say it has three casings: dual tire casing and then the tube is the equivalent of a 3rd casing. PSI is at around 18. Zero problems so far.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I’m running 3.0’s on a i33 at 15/16.5 psi @ 220lbs. Not a problem at all! I’ve had the front get squirmy at 14 psi and really hard/fast cornering...but at 15, is rock solid as far as my experience goes.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
The Minion 2.8 is noticeably less volume than the Magic Mary 2.8. I've run the Schwalbe 2.8's on 30mm internal rims on the front and it worked but I wouldn't try it on the rear. In loose conditions where plus tyres reign supreme you won't have a problem but in hero dirt they'll fold like paper.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.