Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I am getting a deal on a Ti coil spring for my Roco tst but the coil is 2.75" and my shock's stroke is 2.5", will it work fine? or just skip it and save $ for a 2.5". Thanks

·
Shortcutting Hikabiker
3,219 Posts
The coil should always have more travel than the shock or the coil will bottom out when the shock does, you never want the coil to bottom out. As long as the spring rate is right and it isn't too long for the shock it will be fine.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Acme54321 said:
The coil should always have more travel than the shock or the coil will bottom out when the shock does, you never want the coil to bottom out. As long as the spring rate is right and it isn't too long for the shock it will be fine.
Right, that's called binding. Binding can lead to premature failure of the coil. The extra length is also to account for preload.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
Right, that's called binding. Binding can lead to premature failure of the coil. The extra length is also to account for preload.
right, but when a coil is labeled 2.5" stroke, isn't the stroke actually a little longer to account for that?

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Joules said:
right, but when a coil is labeled 2.5" stroke, isn't the stroke actually a little longer to account for that?
Yes, unless it's a Fox. For example, I use a 400X 2.4 spring on my Bottle Rocket w/ a 2.25 stroke DHX. The rest of the bike world labels their springs for the stroke of the shock they're supposed to be used on. Fox labels the actual amount that the spring can compress without binding.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I think the Fox springs for 2.25 shocks are 2.3 (2.35 maybe).
I am not sure though =)

My Sx Trail has a 2.75" stroke and I currently use a 3" spring, originally there was a fox 2.8 on there.

Greetings Znarf

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.