Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the 2.6 width tire more for single track or would it be good for dirt roads as well? Some are telling me that the 2.6 is on the edge of off road only? Of course you can ride anything anywhere, but I am looking for something for the single track and would like something to ride dirt roads as well. I do understand that it is not efficient on pavement.

I would be interested in your experiences as I am not sure on what to focus on to balance both needs. Thanks

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I think 2.6 is a bit much (size and weight) for dirt roads, I do like the larger tires on single track, real nice over the rocky stuff and larger volume is helpful on the sandy gravely stuff we have on some local trails here. For single track and dirt roads I would probably be looking for more of a XC/trail type tire in maybe 2.3 or so and in a respectable weight, but so many variables in tires and trails its impossible to give any meaningful advise other than to maybe stay away from the extremes (big heavy DH or super thin XC race type tires).

·
Registered
284 Posts
to heavy and slow for me. I do well with 2.2 max on my Ritchey P29er. To each his own, tire performance seems to be subjective. I feel sluggish performance with the larger tires however I am cross country type rider.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
One thing I've found regarding 2.6" tires is that they wear better than smaller tires in the same make and model. I don't ride roads, but my 2.6's wear much better in Moab, with the slickrock (practically concrete roads) and sharp ledges than narrower tires so maybe that's a consideration.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
We can answer many ways. Is speed important to you? What about acceleration? weight? traction? protection? on what size rim? compared to what?
I am using a 2.8 Maxxis Rekon 27.5 3C TR EXO for rear on 40 mm and just love it. Fast, plenty of grip. I would definitely buy 2 in 29x2.6. Checking their website it is obviously not great in mud but anything else it excels in my opinion. I would put it on 30 mm for speed or 35 mm for max traction but just playing with PSI on decent rims will do.
Now my main bike is a 120 mm HT and without a car i pedal to the trails, play there and pedal back. So i like them on roads, fireroads and singletracks.
Some like the Vittoria Mezcal, so that size offer many options, it is a versatile size my preferred on 29.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
I have 29er Singlespeed that I ride with 2 setups. In fact I have run with 3 in the past

29x3.0, 29x2.6 (35mm wide rims), 29x2.3 (21mm wide rims)

Of the 3 the 29x2.6 is really fun. Good for lots of general riding, but not really as fast as 2.3. I really liked 3.0 for the amazing roll over, but I had to run a rigid fork. Counteracted with weight compared to the 2.3, but I just could not get along the rigid fork. I am just not a rigid fork guy. I could fit in the 2.6 under my 100mm Fox 32 Step Cast fork and found that to be great set-up. Not super light, but great roll over, great traction, and feels like maybe 1" of suspension travel in the rear. Great for riding most places. However wheels and tires are heavier than my 2.3's and so for racing or really smooth trails the 2.3 feel faster. As for tires 3.0 were WTB ranger Light, 2.6 and 2.3 are XR2.

My XC race bike (100mm fr / rear) uses 29x2.35 front and 29x2.2 rear (have a spares at 2.4 F /2.35R when these wear out) and use 24mm internal wide wheels. For this bike this I great set-up.

My AM/Trail/Enduro bike however runs 29x.26 on 35mm internal wheels. That bike has 160mm travel front and 145 rear and want the big tires for grip and roll over. I ride mostly loose surfaces on that bike.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My AM/Trail/Enduro bike however runs 29x.26 on 35mm internal wheels. That bike has 160mm travel front and 145 rear and want the big tires for grip and roll over. I ride mostly loose surfaces on that bike.
What wheels are those? I've been looking around for a 29in 35i wheelset for a while, but i can't find a lot beside some heavy sunringle or hope stuff.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.