Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Trail 429 v3 XT Race with the Reynolds Blacklabel 309/289 wheels. I've got some brand new Maxxis Rekon 29 x 2.6 WT tires that I'm keen on fitting to it. Before I do a test fit, I was wondering if any of you have fit similar width tires. Looks like they should fit the fork and rear triangle fine? Thanks!

· Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Maxxis Rekons. Very happy with them in AZ. Great in sand and hold up to rocks pretty well. They do wear a little fast if that is important to you.
Just noticed your wheel set up. Same as mine.
Thanks! That's great to hear. I'm in southeast Michigan and we're a mix of sand and gravel with a bit of clay, and then when traveling it's kinda rocky (although not desert-rocky).

These are Maxxis Rekons as well. I've been using the 2.4" on another bike and agree that they wear fast, but they seem like a perfect all-around tire. Pretty fast feeling on everything, yet still grippy enough when it's loose/soft/weird. I have a spare set of 2.4s here but fitted the 2.6s last night and clearance seems great. I can slip my little finger all around the tires front and rear, so spacing is good.

What pressure do you use? I'd used 23/25 in my 2.4" tires, but I'm not sure where to start on the 2.6s...

How do you like the wheels overall? I'm amazed at how light the rims are, and having just had a Light Bicycle rim break on me last weekend that makes me apprehensive, but these are Reynolds, so...

I can't wait to finish setting up the bike and ride it. Just waiting on bar/stem as the stock on the large is a bit too long for me. Really hoping by this weekend, but distributors seem a bit slow with the recent COVID uptick. :(

· Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm 175 undressed, so with full bike clothes and a pack full of water I'm around that as well.

Thanks for the pressure info; I'll likely start somewhere around there. Maybe a smidge higher.

Any idea why the nipples broke? And no spokes, only nipples?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.