Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
18,165 Posts
Personally I wouldn't buy rims that wide for 2.6" tires but if I already had the wheels, I wouldn't hesitate to mount some 2.6" tires and give it a whirl to see how it worked out.

FWIW I'm running 2.8" tires on i45 rims and they're fine.
=sParty

· Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool this is encouraging! I am hoping to try some tires that are less monster truckish and thought 2.6 might be the ticket.

I suppose I’ll reduce my bottom bracket height a bit though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
273 Posts
Cool this is encouraging! I am hoping to try some tires that are less monster truckish and thought 2.6 might be the ticket.

I think that would be negligible. I wanted something faster rolling than the 3.0’s (Botrager Team Issue) and put on Teravail Coronado’s with the durable sidewall and really like them. Probably not super aggressive for trail, but good for what I ride.

· always licking the glass
4,428 Posts

Depends on the tire and make.

Going from a Maxxis 2.8 to a Schwalbe 2.6 will be negligible. Going from a 2.8 Schwalbe to a maxxis 2.6 will be noticeable. I’m not as familiar with other brands.

If you’re going from the same tire but different width you may notice it. Whatcha thinking of running?

· Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, should be fine. I have run 2.8 and 3.0 tires on my i40 rims. Currently running a pair of 2.6 surly dirt wizards due to lack of plus size tire options and I must say I really like the tire profile of them on the wider rims.
Those Surlys look cool....Saw them in 2.8 but wasn’t finding any in a 2.6. Do you have 29 wheels?

· Premium Member
8,744 Posts
I also run 2.8's and 3.0's on 40mm rims. Good compromise.

I have a few hundred plus tires on the shelf in my shop.
So about a week’s supply?! :)

· Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
18,165 Posts
If every person that was currently online lamenting the death of plus would actually just buy some, then yeah -- about that.
Sheesh, ease up on us, willya Mike? I've already got 3" wide tires (from you, mounted on a bike) that I need to wear out before I can get to the NIB 3" tires (from you) in storage in my closet.
Now you want me to buy some more 3" wide tires? I'm obviously not riding that bike enough!
=sParty

· Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sheesh, ease up on us, willya Mike? I've already got 3" wide tires (from you, mounted on a bike) that I need to wear out before I can get to the NIB 3" tires (from you) in storage in my closet.
Now you want me to buy some more 3" wide tires? I'm obviously not riding that bike enough!
=sParty
Link to Mikes shop?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.