Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2.6 or 2.8? (Read post below)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2021 Trek Roscoe 8. I am currently running Maxxis Recon+ (27.5 x 2.8) tires on my bike. I need to replace my tires and am having trouble finding tires that are not over $100. Would it be weird to put 2.6 inch tires on my bike? would it look weird and or have any performance issues? I have been crashing a lot, and I would like the most traction possible. What do you guys recommend? Thanks so much!

·
since 4/10/2009
37,120 Posts
you will lower your bb height. if you have pedal strikes now, it will get worse.

also, it's likely that you'll move from a rounder tire profile (better for cornering) to a more square profile that's not as good for cornering (but maybe a little better for straight-line traction).

this is something that a lot of people never realized before buying a bike with chubby tires - chubby tires are more expensive. and chubby tires that are cheap ride like crap.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Is there a typo in your OP? You're currently running 2.6 and you want to know if you can run a 2.6? I'm assuming you meant you are currently running 2.8.

Anyway, I have a Marin Pine Mountain. It originally came with 27x2.8 tires. There were like balloons and super heavy and bouncy. I swapped to Rekon 2.6 and I am way happier. I'm sure it dropped the BB height a tad, but I have not had any pedal strike issues. The 2.6 is still big enough to provide a little float in sand, but it's way more playful and easier to pedal.

·
Registered
821 Posts
As long as the tire profile isn't thrown off the difference is 5-10mm depending on the tire's tread and volume. There might be an odd spot on the trail you pedal strike that you used to clear but I personally wouldn't flinch at that change. I find I'm pretty adaptable and get used to geometry changes pretty quickly.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Two things:
1. Less balloonish tires so not as bouncy.
2. Lighter weight, so faster acceleration and more responsive steering and handling.

It went from a monster truck feeling of not wanting to turn and just plow over everything to a more nimble, playful ride.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have a pivot switchblade with plus size and have been debating making this move...I Feel like I would need to shorten my cranks however because I already get pedal strikes as it is...or I could try 29ers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
always licking the glass
4,428 Posts
I have a pivot switchblade with plus size and have been debating making this move...I Feel like I would need to shorten my cranks however because I already get pedal strikes as it is...or I could try 29ers.

I run 155mm cranks so I'm less concerned about pedal strikes.

The 2.8 rekons measure 2.7 on the i35 IW and don't feel low at all. I might throw on the 2.6 nobby nics for shits and giggles and see how that feels, since Schwalbe measures truer to size than maxxis.

·
always licking the glass
4,428 Posts
Im asking because of your crank size. I'm 5'6" and have 175 size cranks.

Oooh :) Makes sense. Sorry, I wasn't sure of the context.

Ok, so I originally measured my bike inseam at 29.5 inches. My husband's is 29.75 inches (5'10" tall). He rode 170s for the long time, and now he's onto 160mm. I went from 170 to 165 to 160 to 155mm over a period of 10 years. I have shorter femurs than my husband (not surprising as a female), and I walk a much shorter stride. With my joint hypermobility, I do better with shorter movements than longer movements to hang out at my end range. Even at 160mm, I found myself too much at the end range, but not as bad as 165mm. now at 155mm I like pedaling the smaller circles. It has the advantages of not smacking things, but for me it means not being at my end range of my hip and knee movement and it's much easier on my joints without hyperextending my leg and hip muscles every pedal stroke, so I actually have more energy and feel much better that even the climbs dont' seem to be as horrible anymore.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is there a typo in your OP? You're currently running 2.6 and you want to know if you can run a 2.6? I'm assuming you meant you are currently running 2.8.

Anyway, I have a Marin Pine Mountain. It originally came with 27x2.8 tires. There were like balloons and super heavy and bouncy. I swapped to Rekon 2.6 and I am way happier. I'm sure it dropped the BB height a tad, but I have not had any pedal strike issues. The 2.6 is still big enough to provide a little float in sand, but it's way more playful and easier to pedal.
Yes, I made a typo haha. Thanks for letting me know. I fixed it

·
Registered
22 Fuel EX8
250 Posts
2.8" wide tires felt monster truckish? I dont believe it......all kidding aside. As someone just getting back into mtb'ing I CAN see the appeal of 27.5 wheels. I CAN'T see the appeal of 27.5+ wheels for the type of riding most of us do. I guess 27.5 only exists in plus versions these days?

·
always licking the glass
4,428 Posts
2.8" wide tires felt monster truckish? I dont believe it......all kidding aside. As someone just getting back into mtb'ing I CAN see the appeal of 27.5 wheels. I CAN'T see the appeal of 27.5+ wheels for the type of riding most of us do. I guess 27.5 only exists in plus versions these days?
No 27.5 exists in nonplussed as well.

27.5+ also fits a 29er frame where 27.5 will make it relatively low.

·
Registered
433 Posts
My perspective right now is biased because 27.5+ is all I’ve been riding for the last few years. I’ve never tried 29er. I think my plan is going to be to go that route in the spring as my bike can take either.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.