Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could really use some friendly help from individuals who have actually ran these 2 tires. I run 35id rims and am committed to putting a 2.6 Rekon EXO up front, but I can't make up my mind whether to run a 2.6 Ikon or another 2.6 Rekon out the rear (if we could please keep this to these 2 tires that would be great as I am not really looking for additional suggestions - thx).

While it looks like the Rekon comes with about a 50g weight penalty over the Ikon, I was wondering if any of you have noticed how much rolling resistance difference there is between the Ikon and Rekon? If the rolling resistance difference is really not noticeable, I will probably take the 50g weight penalty and go with the Rekon for better corning. However, if you feel like you can tell a difference between the 2 for rolling resistance I would then put the Ikon out the back.

Lastly, has anyone noticed if there is a width difference in these 2 tires for the 2.6" once they are mounted?

A HUGE thanks for all of your help!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've run a 2.6 Rekon / Ikon setup on my Honzo and never felt like the Ikon's grip was holding me back. If I want more grip I throw a dissector or minion in front and keep the fast rolling Ikon. I think the Rekon is a great jack of all trades tire but there's a noticeable difference in rolling resistance compared to the Ikon, and I don't think the grip on the rear tire matters that much. The ikon has worse braking traction but if you feel like you're lacking there then you should go to a meatier front tire where the difference in rolling resistance is muted.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just wanted to circle back with an update for those that might be interested. I have been running 2.6 Bontrager XR2s (weighed out at 729g & 745g). While they are an extremely light and fast tire, I was having problems with them sliding in the corners and washing out without notice so I started looking for something with a bit more bite and hence I started to focus on the 2.6 Rekon (which might be viewed as 1 step up in traction) and the 2.6 Ikon (which might be viewed as 1/2 step up in traction).

Yesterday I put a 2.6 Rekon on the front (which weighed out at 828g) and went for a spin on my local track which would best be described as winding with a bit of loose sand/gravel over hard pack and it's about 10 miles with only about 570ft of elevation. I really did not feel like I was pushing it since: I wanted to get a feel for the new tire, I was running a bit too much pressure, and since the leaves are starting to fall here and cover about 10% of the trail. Oddly enough, at the end of my ride I set a new track PR on Strava (granted only by 6 seconds) and was not that far off (about 1%) of my PR for the low to high point segment.

A few days ago I went to my LBS who had a 2.6 Ikon on the shelf and I put it on my scale and it came out at 832g. I also purchased a 2nd Rekon and it weighed out at 850g vs the first one that weighed 828g.

Needless to say, with the surprising performance that I got from the Rekon on the front and that it seems like there is not much of a weight penalty over the Ikon, I will be putting the 2nd Rekon on the back.

I will make note that one of the things I did notice with the Rekon is that it would slide a bit on the transition knobs...but this might have been the result of me running a bit too much pressure.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Glad to hear you liked the Rekon in front, I can confirm that to corner well you have to lean the tire over to get the side nubs on the ground.

It's worth noting that the weight difference won't make much difference between the ikon / rekon as a rear tire but the different compound & tread pattern will. There's certainly nothing wrong with the Rekon as a rear tire though.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just wanted to circle back with some closing comments for future readers.

While I can not compare rolling resistance on the trail between the Ikon and Rekon, I believe I can firmly say that from my experience the Rekon has less rolling resistance than the Bontrager XR2. After running the Rekons on F&R over several different local tracks in the upper midwest, I have consistently found myself running in a faster gear and posting new PRs on Strava while showing a lower average heart rate. Personally I attribute this to the larger center ramped knobs the Rekon has over the XR2s.

I originally went with the XR2 given their weight, but I have not found the added weight of the Rekon has much affect on climbing as it seems like the added weight may be somewhat offset by the improved rolling resistance. But for those of you in more mountainous areas this may not hold consistent since here in the upper midwest a track only averages around 50-100ft of vertical elevation per mile and most bigger climbs here are only about 50-150ft vertical feet. Tracks here tend to be packed with some loose over hard.

Here are a few other observations I have had with the Rekons:
  • To corner well you will need to lean the bike (as mentioned by others as well). Turning hard without leaning the bike will make the tire push out until the side knobs grab.
  • For higher tire pressure riders, these tires seem to respond better with a few pounds less which also seems to help get those side knobs down so the bike needs to be leaned less.
  • For any sort of technical climb, speed is your friend. I have not had much luck doing a slow crawl as these tires can slip fairly easily, but this is greatly reduced when going a bit faster.
  • When hitting roots at off angles, the side knobs will once again be your friend. While the tire may slide a bit on the center and transition knobs; once those side knobs make contact, life is good.
While the 2.6" Rekons will definitely not be for all riders; if you are someone who favors speed over technical features, these might be right up your alley.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.