Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
solid gold plated
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive tried asking in the wheel and tyre forum but had little luck, so thought i would ask here

i currently run intense 2.4 dh comp 60 tyres on my bike atm. they came on the bike when i bought it, and im unsure if these are "heavy" tyres by most standards, if anyone has any idea that would be appreciated.

also im probably going to need some new tyres soon anyways, and was wondering if peeps had any reccomendations?

im basically looking for a 2.5 tyre that doesnt weigh a massive amount (big surprise there :rolleyes: ) and will deal with UK conditions, aka wet n muddy.

cheers :D

·
Si vales, valeo.
277 Posts
I ride Maxxis 2.5 Minion DHF (front) and High Roller (rear) and I love them! However, the are downhill tires and weigh between 1150 - 1300g...and also I ride in the desert where it is dry and loose mostly. But I have heard that a good set for your terrain and ideals are the Maxxis 2.4 ADvantage, they shed mud easily and only weigh about 850g.

·
solid gold plated
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the listed weight you gave for the maxxis minion tyres, do you know if this is for both the single and dual ply type? does the single ply weigh 1150g and the dual ply weigh 1300g?

cheers

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
Minions are really good. I like the Nevegal also. The folding (single-ply) Stick-E rubber 2.5 comes in at approx 950g. Pretty light for such a capable tire.

JMH

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
JMH said:
Minions are really good. I like the Nevegal also. The folding (single-ply) Stick-E rubber 2.5 comes in at approx 950g. Pretty light for such a capable tire.

JMH
Actually might be under 900g, I weighed my folding BG 2.5 at ~850g.

Also, Nokian has some "dual" versions (single ply sub-1000g) versions of Gazza and NBX tires now.
da-eddio if you're in the UK are Nokians easy/cheap to get?
http://www.suomityres.fi/amtn.html
http://www.suomityres.fi/gswa.html

·
solid gold plated
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you can get nokian tyres easily enough from chain reaction cycles, not sure what cheap is to you though, they are about £25 each.

i've found some maxxis minion tyres, front and rear for £32 so i may go for those.

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
da_eddio said:
you can get nokian tyres easily enough from chain reaction cycles, not sure what cheap is to you though, they are about £25 each.

i've found some maxxis minion tyres, front and rear for £32 so i may go for those.
Minion single plies are a popular AM tire, good grip and decent rolling resistance too. Should do you well. (if you see much mud you might consider the Nokians instead though, my NBX clears mud quite well)

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
da_eddio said:
ive tried asking in the wheel and tyre forum but had little luck, so thought i would ask here

i currently run intense 2.4 dh comp 60 tyres on my bike atm. they came on the bike when i bought it, and im unsure if these are "heavy" tyres by most standards, if anyone has any idea that would be appreciated.

also im probably going to need some new tyres soon anyways, and was wondering if peeps had any reccomendations?

im basically looking for a 2.5 tyre that doesnt weigh a massive amount (big surprise there :rolleyes: ) and will deal with UK conditions, aka wet n muddy.

Considering a good 2-ply tire will weigh over 1100 grams easily, I will assume by not too heavy you mean under 1000 grams.

* 2.35 Maxxis single-ply Minion/High Roller are good tires, but are low volume as far as I am concerned. Not big at all when compared to other tires of that same size.

* 2.5 single ply Kendas (eg, Blue Groove) good option.

* 2.4 Maxxis Advantage considerably bigger than Minion/High Roller 2.35s. These are very good sub-900 gram tires that I can personally recommend. Only weakness might be sidewall but that is nitpicky for most of us. Great cornering/traction.

* 2.4 Schwalbe Big Bettys are en route for me. I am very excited about these and from what I hear from people I respect who love them, is that they are great high volume, relatively fast rolling, and very tough sidewalls for a non 2-ply tire. Weight is just a tad under 900 grams. Only downside, if this is all true, is the price...not cheap, but who cares. Compared to other bike parts, most of which are less important than tires, no big deal.

* Panaracer 2.4 FR is a good front tire (note: as a back tire will ride like a tractor). These tires are MASSIVE....bigger than many 2.7 tires. Huge volume. Downside, for heavier person anyway, is that low psi may not be a good idea with these. I like them as a front tire.

my 1 cent.....

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
single ply are the 2.35 tires...weight about ~870 grams, +/-

Maxxis 2-ply tires are 2.5 and bigger. Weight for example on 2.5 Maxxis Minion Triple C compound was 1280 grams.

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,878 Posts
WTB Timberwolf might be good for your conditions. I have a set of 2.5s I use for dh, mud and snow with good results

I have a Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.4 triple compound, great tire. I'd love to try the Big Bettys too.

Minions are awesome, but the 2.35s are small, 2.5s are heavy. I use a 2.35 dhr 60a for trails, 2.5 for dh as a rear tire.

I'm not a fan of Kenda tires...

On the list to try are the Maxxis Advantage 2.4 and Big Bettys for trail tires, the Maxxis triple compound (3C) seems interesting, not sure what sizes or models they come in.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The 2.5 folding bead Nevegal weighs in at 970 plus or minus 45 grams. The wire bead weighs 1150 plus or minus 70 grams. If you want to lighten it up a bit run the 2.35's The DTC version weighs in at 695 plus or minus 35 grams.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
The Rose said:
The 2.5 folding bead Nevegal weighs in at 970 plus or minus 45 grams. The wire bead weighs 1150 plus or minus 70 grams. If you want to lighten it up a bit run the 2.35's The DTC version weighs in at 695 plus or minus 35 grams.
Claimed weight for the 2.5 is 814g. 720 for the 2.35 DTC. *shrugs* I'm currently running a 2.5 Kevlar Stick-E front, 2.35 DTC rear. Havn't bothered to weigh them though.

·
Registered
332 Posts
da_eddio said:

if your looking for something for the the uk mud and are likely to swap to something else when the long hot summer comes round ;) you would'nt go too far wrong with some maxxis swampthings.

I've no idea what they weigh, but they have worked briliantly in all sorts of conditions, sandy soil and roots at chicksands, cambridgeshire mud, slate and mud in wales and if you go for the sticky compound, you could probably get across your ceiling. The UK mags love them as a winter tyre

·
solid gold plated
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
does it matter what rims you use with which tyres, in regards to it changing the actual width and height of some tyres?

i've got mavix x729's on my bike at the moment, will these distort certain tyres?

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Schwalbe Nobby Nic

The Saint said:
I ride Maxxis 2.5 Minion DHF (front) and High Roller (rear) and I love them! However, the are downhill tires and weigh between 1150 - 1300g...and also I ride in the desert where it is dry and loose mostly. But I have heard that a good set for your terrain and ideals are the Maxxis 2.4 ADvantage, they shed mud easily and only weigh about 850g.
It might be a bit too light for your use but I love my Nobby Nic 2.4. They are full knobby, no problem with mud, roll very well, with great traction and handling at speed, very modern triple compound. They weight 630 in standard non tubeless, and you can have the reinforced version (with "snakeskin" on the sidewall) for an additional 40 grams. I would give them a try at least in the back: shaving off more then a pound/wheel would make a huge difference :thumbsup:

To save rolling weight you might also consider a smaller tire in the back, I use a combo 2.4/2.25 and I am very happy with it.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
da_eddio said:
does it matter what rims you use with which tyres, in regards to it changing the actual width and height of some tyres?

i've got mavix x729's on my bike at the moment, will these distort certain tyres?
heck yeah it matters.

if you put a robust 2-ply tire in a narrow-ish rim (~28mm or less), the tire will be much smaller than you think. As the sidewalls will not flex as with a single ply (some 2-ply more than others) but rather the sidewalls will remain pretty much perpindicular to the rim, the casing width will effectivley converge to as narrow as the inside of the rim is wide. A wider rim will allow the sidewalls to then be further apart from one another resulting in a bigger footprint.

For example, if you put a 2.5 Minion 2-ply in a DT Swiss 5.1 rim, it looks tiny! As soon as that last part of the bead pops over it will instantly narrow to the width of the inside diameter. Even when aired up it will not budge at all and you would be left with a tire that barely looks like a decent 2.1 sized tire. On this same rim, 2.7 Intense tires will look decent size but NOWHERE near as large as they would otherwise.

Good news for you is that you have sweet rims for 2-ply. They will work very well with these more robust DH types of tires.

·
29er Geek
1,529 Posts
da_eddio said:

Mitch Hedberg was GREAT

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.