Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
whatever she says gueuze.
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My stock steel spring is a 2.75x400 and I can get a 2.5x400 ti spring for a good price. It looks like the unweighted length should be fine but will this work? How would I notice the difference? Shock is a RC4. Thanks.

·
Registered
314 Posts
the best way is to measure it, but its very likely to work.
i use a 2.00 spring with a 2.5 shock, and it can't bind, because the gaps between the wounds are too large - i don't know who's the bozo who labeled it, but it is a progressive suspension spring (i use it on a fox shock).

using a caliper you measure the vertical distance between parallel wounds, and multiply it by the number of parallel wounds. if its less than the stroke, you're good to go.

·
wuss
2,380 Posts
Depends on the stroke of your shock.....

If your shock has a 2.75 stroke, a 2.5 spring will bottom out before your shock does....
The rating on the spring is just a promise that it will work in that set up, not that it won't work in any other set up.

I used a 2.25 spring on a 2.75 shock and there was no problem with binding, as the coils where so sparse. Mainly changed it because it had a tendency to tighten the preload collar while I was riding...

However I would not go for it unless you are really sure. Calculate how much space you have on the spring, make sure you have some extra and it should work fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.