Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need opinions. Which would you prefer for freeriding & some downhilling? 2.5 single-ply tires (Timberwolves) or 2.35 2-ply (Nevegal DH). The timberwolves are OEM on my bike & the nevegals are spare tires I have lying around. Thanks for any help.

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,968 Posts
be lazy and ride the timberwolves till there done then switch

·
Registered
510 Posts
IMO there's no question which is the better tire. I'd go with the Nevegals. They'll roll faster and probably have about the same traction as the larger tire while being less susceptable to flats. They should corner at least as well too, better if it's a skinny rim they're on. I like fat tires (I run 2.7"s) but IMO you are comparing arguably the best all-around tire made with one of the worst. Like Comp 32 DH vs Chunder or Gazz, it's just a lot better tire.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys! I had to ask around ‘cause I did get a flat w/ the Timberwolves my first time riding it DH. I have the Nevegals lying in the house after selling my old frame. I never had a flat with those so I kind’a figured it could be better than the wider tires I have on right now.

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,968 Posts
Rickee said:
Thanks, guys! I had to ask around ‘cause I did get a flat w/ the Timberwolves my first time riding it DH. I have the Nevegals lying in the house after selling my old frame. I never had a flat with those so I kind’a figured it could be better than the wider tires I have on right now.

double plys are always better, but I would use more air and wear out the weirwolves

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shiver, I guess I could wear out both sets either way. I could put either set: timberwolves w/ higher tire pressure; & nevegals w/ lower tire pressure. I have to point out, though, I was running 35psi on the timberwolves when I got the flat. It could have been line choice, but still... I'll test the nevegals later & see how it feels. Either way I have spare tires.

DSB, yeah that's an option but I'm just making the best of what I have right now. Tubeless does sound really good though...

Big help, guys.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I ran 2.35 nevegals on my DH race bike almost all season (except for Mt Snow courses) and I was more than happy with them. They are pretty comparable in size to a 2.5 Maxxis.

·
Equal opportunity meanie
2,781 Posts
I managed to pinch out a 2.5 Timberwolf twice while running 35+ psi on not the roughest terrain around. It didn't roll for ****, didn't hook up for **** in a straight line, didn't hook up for **** in any corner, and also weighed a ton. I literally took that tire up to a local shooting range and blasted the hell out of it. Run slicks before that tire.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've to agree w/ the 2.35. I tested them out last night & yeah, it does feel better. It actually felt more of a DH tire than the timberwolves. I forgot how the tires felt. I haven't touched the timberwolves since I got the new bike & now I'm glad I did.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts