Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Ride = Life
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running a 2.5" rear tire on their Chameleon? How much clearance is there between knobs and chain stays?

·
Registered
100 Posts
It will go but have to put it on flattish to get it on. Plus you better have a stiff set of wheels or it may rub on hard cornering.

I had a set of Nevegal 2.5 on my 2010 Chameleon for screwing around the collonnade.

·
Ride = Life
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
q2xltrgt said:
It will go but have to put it on flattish to get it on. Plus you better have a stiff set of wheels or it may rub on hard cornering.

I had a set of Nevegal 2.5 on my 2010 Chameleon for screwing around the collonnade.
Cool thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The Chameleon is a great frame :) but it really has problems running large tires.:mad:

I've got a 2008 version (SS) and can't run much more than a true 2.25" or 57.2mm tire on a regular basis.

There is a great deal of variation in tire sizes (theoretical/real) both between different manufacturers and within a single manufacturer's own range. So, I finally got to measuring with a vernier caliper some real tires and the Chameleon's chain stays to see exactly what was going on :madman: :

Schwalbe Fat Albert - 2.35 theoretical - 61.5mm or 2.42" in reality
Schawlbe Nobby Nic - 2.25 theoretical - 56.4mm or 2.22" in reality
Specialized Eskar - 2.30 theoretical - 59.4mm or 2.34" in reality

These tires are not too far off their theoretical sizes and were measured on wide rims but if Santa Cruz says that 2.50" or 63.5mm is about the maximum then you should be able to run them - so why is there a problem ?

The answer lies in the shape of the chain stays.

Maximum clearance on the chain stay "Y-piece" is (on my Chameleon) 70mm or 2.76".

This sounds OK but it only allows for 3.25mm or 0.13" clearance on each side of a REAL 2.50" tire!

This does not really, in my book, sound like an ideal nor safe state of affairs for regular riding.:nono:

However, to make matters worse, at the weld of the "Y-piece " this narrows to just 59mm or 2.32".

This means that I can't even run the above 2.3" Specialized Eskar in wet conditions without taping my stays at the weld to protect them.

General all terrain all weather riding is limited to true 2.25" tires ! ?

I honestly can't see where Santa Cruz got their idea that a real world 2.5" tire is about the maximum.:confused:

I would not have purchased the frame had I known all of this beforehand because this limitation means :

1) that not only does my Chameleon not perform as expected but

2) also that it is going to be relegated to shopping duty as a single speed - a task hardly befitting its capacities.

Unfortunately my purchase was influenced by the information on Santa Cruz's website.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.