Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new set of 2.4 nobby nics, but totally forgot to consider whether they will work on my Mavic 717 rims. Will they? I hope so - I was really hoping to get a set of bigger tires. Thanks!

bk

·
Registered
239 Posts
the 2.4" NNs are big. i wouldn´t use them on a small rim. the 717 should have a 17mm wide "mouth". i rode the 2.4" nobbys on a mavic d521 with 21mm mouth and they were a little bit squishy on them.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
You can use them but...

it is a high volume tire and you'll have to run high pressures to keep the tire from squirming side to side on a skinny rim, when there's any side loads (turning, pedaling out of the saddle).

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
NN and RR may not be all that wide but they often end up pretty tall. There's room for a lot of air in there.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
shiggy said:
IME Mavic's tire width reccos are very conservative. Bottom line is it depends on the rider, terrain and riding style.
More discussion here
Fair enough. I am well over 200lb and like to drop off logs and jumps, so my perspective on squirm and roll are vastly different from a 165lb rider who's tires don't hardly leave the ground ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts