Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are any of you out there running 2.35's on a Blur Classic? I have a spare frame sitting around and decided to build it up this week. However, I don't have any tires smaller than a 2.35 sitting around so I was wondering if any of you have experience running this tire size on the classic (I will be running 2.35 Nevegals). I'm just wondering if I need to go grab a set of 2.1s instead...

How's clearance and performance? Is this tire size really too much for this bike?

Thanks!

·
Registered
274 Posts
raki said:
kind of depend on how "classic" is your classic, i think the last series had widened seat stays, I have a 03 classic (the one with the v brake bosses on) and for sure 2.35 will not work on those
I have a 04 Blur Classic (Vbrake bosses and narrow swingarm) and I can squeeze a Kenda Nev 2.35 DTC between the stays. It's tight and the your wheel needs to be perfectly true, and even then one or two side knobs just touch a tad (trimmed them with an exacto knife).:thumbsup:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I found some time to try a fit-up and 2.35 Nevegals were a bit too large. One spare set of High Rollers "BARELY" fit, so I opted for 2.1 Nevegal DTC's and I am off and rolling now. :thumbsup:

·
Natural body armor
2,178 Posts
norton55 said:
i run a 2.1 in the back and a 2.35 in the front on my blur xc. my bike handles so much better now that i made the change.
Which tires are you running. I'm shopping for new tires for my BXC after one more sidewall slash on the Spesh tires. (Slashalized??)

I would think anything bigger than 2.1 wouldn.t work on an Blur XC, but I dunno about the classic
ZT

·
heaven help me
2,903 Posts
Zen_Turtle said:
Which tires are you running. I'm shopping for new tires for my BXC after one more sidewall slash on the Spesh tires. (Slashalized??)

I would think anything bigger than 2.1 wouldn.t work on an Blur XC, but I dunno about the classic
ZT
nevegals. i ran 2.1 front and rear and a buddy told me to try a 2.35 in the front. he said i would like the improvement in the handling. he was right. i take turns a lot faster and with more confidence.

·
Natural body armor
2,178 Posts
norton55 said:
nevegals. i ran 2.1 front and rear and a buddy told me to try a 2.35 in the front. he said i would like the improvement in the handling. he was right. i take turns a lot faster and with more confidence.
Don't like the Nevegals for their rolling resistance, but traction is good, especially on wet slippery stuff.
I used the Stick-E ones, I'm assuming the DTC are better.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Not to highjack too bad but, speaking of Blur Classic, I ran a Talas 140mm and it took the bike to another level. (Supposedly only rated for 120mm if I remember right.) After my research that found some fo the old team riders doing it back in the day, I tried it.)
Made the bike a great ride with a pushed rp3 in the back.
Mutano Raptors 2.3's work well.

·
Registered
245 Posts
My Classic has an LT rear end, so yes, I can run 2.3s... :)

I absolutely agree w/ norton55 - I run a 2.1 Crossmark on the rear and a 2.3 Ignitor on the front, and it works great.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
signal said:
Are any of you out there running 2.35's on a Blur Classic? I have a spare frame sitting around and decided to build it up this week. However, I don't have any tires smaller than a 2.35 sitting around so I was wondering if any of you have experience running this tire size on the classic (I will be running 2.35 Nevegals). I'm just wondering if I need to go grab a set of 2.1s instead...

How's clearance and performance? Is this tire size really too much for this bike?

Thanks!
I have a 2nd generation classic purchased in late 03. I was running Schwalbe Albert Alpen Cross 2.25's on front and rear. They worked great for about 6 months and the rear one started to rub slightly in 2/1 and 1/1, it was from a flexy skewer. I changed to the Nobby Nic 2.25 and no issues at all. They are bigger than my Conti Vertical Pro's which claimed 2.3 width and never rubbed. I wouldn't run anything less than these where I ride. I have gotten used to the bigger footprint and better performance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.