Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I'm currently running Minion DHF 29x2.5 on the front and Aggressor 29x2.5 on the rear. Each on an Ibis 942 rim.

Later this year I am going on a bike packing trip in Oregon. The tread surface will be a mix of single track, dirt road, and pavement. I want to get a better rolling tire and was thinking of Bontrager XR3 29x2.4 for the front and XR2 29x2.35 for the rear.

My question is will the Bontragers fit well with the 35mm inner rim width of 942's?

Thanks for any input.

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
Frank Stacy designed Bontrager XR series Team Edition tires are designed from the ground up to be optimized for wider rims. I'd go with an XR2 2.6 on the front on a 45mm rim for maximum cornering traction in loose over hard with sidewall support to combat fold over.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
... I would have thought that going to a narrower tire would be lighter thus less rolling mass...
Rolling resistance and rolling (rotating) mass are two different things and have different effects. You can have heavy tires that roll easily and light tires that have a lot of rolling resistance. Rolling resistance constantly dissipates energy you put into riding. Rotating mass slows acceleration by storing energy you put into it and increases workload when doing technical riding. Neither are generally beneficial. For the riding you describe, low rolling resistance would be much more beneficial than low mass.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Really? That's interesting. I would have thought that going to a narrower tire would be lighter thus less rolling mass.

Thanks for the response. I'll look into bigger tires.
Wider tires (can) have lower rolling resistance over rough surfaces. They aren't just for traction.

Weight does not matter, short of filling your tires with water.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.