Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So these two tires look pretty close in footprint/width size eventhough sizes say different (Rampage seems higher volume.) So for dry, rocky singletrack which would be better front tire? Which might roll faster and which would have better cornering? How would they do on rear also? I have someone giving me one of each.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
durkind said:
So these two tires look pretty close in footprint/width size eventhough sizes say different (Rampage seems higher volume.) So for dry, rocky singletrack which would be better front tire? Which might roll faster and which would have better cornering? How would they do on rear also? I have someone giving me one of each.

Thanks
The Rampage is larger in all regards. I would run it on the front but you should try different setups for yourself and see what you like.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, maybe it seems to me that the Nev has a squarer profile vs the Rampage rounder, thus making it look narrower? Anyways, keeping things apples to apples, comparing both tires in a 2.35 size which would roll faster, corner, etc. Possibly the nev would be a better front and Rampage better rear due to profile? Tread patterns are obviously pretty similar.

·
Registered
928 Posts
2.1 Nevegal = slow tire

I got 2 of these on a FS bike I ordered last year and here on hard dry, rooty and sometimes rocky technical singletrack they are slow as hell; at least compared to a Maxxis Crossmark.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I run the crossmark eXceptions and I have their air pressure at 32-29psi rear and 28psi front with tubes and I haven't noticed any traction difference between them and the Nevegals. Also I forgot to mention the rotating mass of the crossmarks is about a good 100g lighter at each wheel.

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
i have both crossmarks and nevegals, they aren't even similar in traction. the nevegal grips 3x better....but is 6x slower. i use the crossmarks as rear-only on the race bike.

the rampage is one of my favorite tires, faster then the nevegal with similar grip (nevegal slightly better) and very durable tire.

YMMV.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I found that with the Crossmarks above 32psi the traction goes down considerably and if you run them at the 35psi min they aren't that good. What pressure do you run them at?

·
Registered
261 Posts
durkind said:
Okay, maybe it seems to me that the Nev has a squarer profile vs the Rampage rounder, thus making it look narrower? Anyways, keeping things apples to apples, comparing both tires in a 2.35 size which would roll faster, corner, etc. Possibly the nev would be a better front and Rampage better rear due to profile? Tread patterns are obviously pretty similar.
Hey durkind,

I've used both, and where I ride (dry, loose, rocks) the Rampage is a far superior tire in nearly every respect, IMHO. Fatter, more supple, better traction, better carving, faster rolling - I could go on and on. The Nevegal might be a little tougher in the sidewall, but that's not a good reason alone to buy a tire.

If you have to use one of each, run the Nev in back. The Rampage's fatter profile and more supple rubber compound will help you more in the front. Better yet, buy a second Rampage (they're pretty inexpensive) and be really happy:thumbsup: . Cheers,

E

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
i run mine at 27 psi. i like them alot in the rear for racing and hardpack riding....but anything loose and they are nearly useless.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
durkind said:
Your observation is correct. I noted the same thing when I switched from Nevegal 2.35's to Rampages.

I have posted my feelings about them sometime about a year ago. In fact, I was running one of both. I prefer the Rampage well above the Nevegal, despite a small reduction in cornering traction. Like the old Fires, it produces controllable and correctable breakaways at the limit. The tradeoff is way better rolling and better maneuverability.

I also run my Rampages Nevegal style, with the ramps forward.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
theycallmeE said:
Hey durkind,

I've used both, and where I ride (dry, loose, rocks) the Rampage is a far superior tire in nearly every respect, IMHO. Fatter, more supple, better traction, better carving, faster rolling - I could go on and on. The Nevegal might be a little tougher in the sidewall, but that's not a good reason alone to buy a tire.

If you have to use one of each, run the Nev in back. The Rampage's fatter profile and more supple rubber compound will help you more in the front. Better yet, buy a second Rampage (they're pretty inexpensive) and be really happy:thumbsup: . Cheers,

E
Thanks for feedback. I have now tried both and "supple" is a great way to describe the Rampage. Makes for a nice ride up front.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.