Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm hoping that I did something wrong here, hopefully someone can give me some feedback. I'm in the middle of building my first wheelset and just completed the rear. The tire I went with was the WTB Vigilante Team Issue which is a 2.3". Upon putting my new rear wheel into my 2012 Stumpy frame I noticed that the tire sits very close to the drive side chainstay. As it is now it looks like it will definitely rub, I can't get a finger in between the tire and chainstay. There is more than enough room on the non-drive side which makes me think that there is a possibility the rim isn't centered on the hub although there seems to be even spacing between the seat stays.

Is anyone else running a 2.3 on the rear of their stumpy? I'll find out soon enough if this is the fault of an error when building the wheel but it's driving me crazy right now as I didn't think a 2.3 out back on the Stumpy would cause an issue. I'm considering as a last resort shaving the outside lugs on the tire down but I really want to avoid that if possible.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Couldn't imagine why it would be an issue. I have a '11 sworks model running 2.3" ground control out back.

Sent by courier pigeon

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Depends on the tire. 2.3 purgatory and 2.35 nobby nic work, 2.35 Hans dampf rubs a little on hard corners. Enough so that i took it off.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I got a 2.3 Ground Control on the rear of my stumpy evo ht.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Did you check the rear wheel dish (rim centered between dropouts)? If the dish is off the tire wont sit evenly between the chainstays.

I have run a 2.3 purgatory and ground control on the rear of my stumpy and it is no problem.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I need to recheck my wheel and also make sure that the stock one isn't offset. The wheel seems pretty centered between the seat stays though. One of the reviews of the Vigilante out there tested the tire on a Stumpy 29er, so unless there is a difference in either the 29er frame chainstays or the 29er Vigilantes then these should fit. I guess worst case scenario is that I have a spare for the front and need to get a new rear.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I am running a Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 on there and I'm having the opposite problem you are having. My wheel seems to be too far to the brake side and periodically rubs against the seat stay. I've had to re-true the wheel to move it back over to the drive side. Isn't too hard, just takes a bit of time to do it correctly.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fantastic. Yeah I've dished a wheel to one side before so I know it's not too tough, just been procrastinating as I've been recovering from an injury and can't ride anyways. Well if you can fit a 2.5 minion in there I shouldn't have an issue, thanks for the info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts