Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a list of UST tires for a new set of wheels. I'm currently running an Ardent 2.4 front, and an ADvantage 2.4 rear. I love this set up, but these aren't UST options unfortunately. Cost isn't a factor, weight is somewhat important, but grip is a factor. I don't want to sacrifice traction for a small amount of weight.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
-Bontrager has many TLR (Tubeless Ready with UST spec beads) for almost any condition.

-Continental Race King is a large 2.2 and comes in a true UST version

-Continental Mountain Kings are a narrow 2.4 and come in a true UST version

There are a few more but the weight exceeds 850 grams if that is important.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Geax DHEA UST $24 on Huck&Roll

I am running the folding version of this tire, setup ghetto tubeless at 25psi, and really like it a lot!!

I prefer it over the LoboLoco for the front, and over the Minion DHF as well. I like the DHF Minion better as a rear tire.

It is a 2.3, but is closer to a 2.5 in width. 24 bucks for this tire in UST is a screaming deal.:thumbsup:

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Maxxis HR or Minions come in 2.5 UST, they are a tru 2.3-2.4 depending on the rime

Continental Rubber Queen in 2.4 UST

Kenda Nevegal 2.35, true 2.3 on an xm819

FWIW, the Ardent 2.4 works pretty darn well converted to ghetto tubeless. It is also closer to 900g where all the above are over 1000g.

You didn't mention if you are using UST rims or not. That make a difference IMO.

·
Registered
982 Posts
My favorite

is the Schwalbe Big Betty 2.4 UST - durable, triple compound, 946 grams. You might also check out the new UST line coming out from Special Ed - the Purgatory comes in a 2.4 Grid UST now @ 950 grams.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
AL29er said:
Is the Big Betty UST actually shy of 1000g? I thought they scaled out closer to 1100g.
steve47co1 said:
I have a gram scale in my shop - that is what they weigh in a 26x2.4 UST.
AL29er - Winner winner chicken dinner.

SchwalbeUSA just sent me a new BB2.4UST, but I don't have a scale. What I do KNOW is that the BB was redesigned a bit and beefed up since last year's 900g offering, with the new version weighing in at 1100g, per SchwalbeUSA.

OP - for grip, look at the Fat Albert UST from Schwalbe, the Big Betty (I am currently BB f, FA r), the Conti Rubber Queen (now known as the Trail King) 2.4 black chili is even bigger than the Schwalbe 2.4.

Specialized now offers USTs again, but **** that company and their wasting the time of our legal system.

but if you REALLY like the ADvantage 2.4 rear, then try the Eskar from Specialized. The UST casing is NEW, so disregard all the 2bliss horror stories about shredded sidewalls. The new Eskar also has bigger transition knobs. The biggest reason to move from the ADvantage to the Eskar was that Specialized pulled Chris Wyatt from Maxxis over to Specialized to design the Eskar.

See:

·
Registered
982 Posts
I say nay, nay!

As a Schwalbe dealer, I just received 4 new BB 2.4 UST's and I just weighed them on my gram scale - even better than advertised - 908 grams. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
steve47co1 said:
As a Schwalbe dealer, I just received 4 new BB 2.4 UST's and I just weighed them on my gram scale - even better than advertised - 908 grams. :thumbsup:
That is awesome. I hope I got one of those...but it is all mounted up and I don't anticipate pulling it off anytime soon, as my last BB front lasted...A YEAR! A friggin year out of a tire before it had a knob shedding that the sealant wouldn't seal. And then I ran a tube in it. That is for any of the $ haters that say "Hell, a nevegal 2.5 is only $40, why would I spend 2x that on a tire?!"

·
Registered
878 Posts
Look on ebay, or other places for Specialized enduro pro D2 2.4 tires.
Great tire, true UST, 980g super grippy, and big, true 2.4 size.
I had them on 819's front and rear. It's ok on the rear, but I didn't like it on the 819 in the front, so I went to an 823 in front and that flattened out the tire just enough to make it perfect for me - great corner bite, not super fast rolling though.
Never flatted one, knock-on-wood, and I abuse the heck out of them in the rock gardens, and what-not.

I'm going to try a lighter "trail" wheelset - Stan's ZTR Flow rims, and a Specialized 2.3 Eskar up front, and Specialized The Captain 2.2 in the back, set up tubeless with Stan's sealant (these are 2bliss tires not true UST.)

CZ: That new Eskar looks really cool, I may have to try one.

·
Registered
632 Posts
hitek79 said:
I'm looking for a list of UST tires for a new set of wheels. I'm currently running an Ardent 2.4 front, and an ADvantage 2.4 rear. I love this set up, but these aren't UST options unfortunately. Cost isn't a factor, weight is somewhat important, but grip is a factor. I don't want to sacrifice traction for a small amount of weight.
I just mounted the 2.4 MK SS on a set of non-UST wheels + Stan's and that makes a sweet setup. They wiegh in at 560g, sealed up with some work and BAAM.

2cents....LC

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.