Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
mb3designs
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some new tread. Currently running a 2.35 Nevegal and Blue Groove, decent setup, lacks a little in wet conditions.

Considering WTB Weirwolf 2.3's or Maxxis Advantage 2.4's. Any Input or feedback is appreciated.

So, whats everybody riding? Let me know what you think about your setup. Pros, cons, strengths, weaknesses, etc.........

·
Registered
454 Posts
Have been really happy with a 2.35 soft compound Maxxis High Roller up front. Currently looking for a new rear. The 2.1 High Roller does not cut it. Worn after only a dozen or so rides and the tread is not deep enough.

This summer during the drought I was running a Small Block Eight on my single speed mainly around BC and it was awesome. Sucks in the wet though.

Looking for something with some good tread that wears well for the back.

·
I like Squishy Bikes
1,101 Posts
Mum swears by her Maxxis ADvantage's
I do ok on my $17 Hutchinson Barracuda Air Lite 2.3s :thumbsup:
not THE best tire on rocks after a small shower, but they were on Sale!
I thought about reversing them to see if that improves their bite.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have not had the pinch problem with the mountain kings and have them on three bikes. I weigh over 180 and run about 40 psi. This could be a problem with some people, but (so far) not with mine...I did have a nice cut in the sidewall after the ORAMM, but switched away from the Supersonics and IMO the regulars are a bit better sidewall for rocky terrain. for me it is my all-around tire...good to get through the winter because of leaf-piercing side tread and a nice pattern down the middle that sheds mud. Not to mention they roll good and are relatively light :thumbsup: .

·
Registered
671 Posts
I recently got a set of WTB Stouts (2.3) for my SS El Mariachi. They run very well in the recent Pisgah sloppyness and surprisingly well on gravel, though they are heavier than the Nevegals and Racing Ralphs. They grip and then shed the mud easily and can be run at pretty low pressure even with tubes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
ive got a maxxis ignitor frnt (2.3)/high-roller rr (2.3) combo that is hooking up well for this area. the 2.35s have the softer tread compound but the skinnier tires are available in a harder compound. also the ADvantage from maxxis is a good x-****ree that hooks up well in the pre-summer trail dry-outs. during the summer the larsen-TT with the 42 durometer rating is about the best i have used for our area.

yes, i am partial to maxxis only b/c of there multi tread compounds per tread pattern (as oppose to one compound for 15 tread designs)......but i cant lie that b/c they use softer compounds they do wear a little more quicker than others.......michelin & wtb have harder compounds but i have only had 1 pr of mich and 2 prs of wtb that i have cheked w/ my durometer.......either way, good luck b/c tire buying/choosing is not easy

altho specialized will give you store credit for there tires if you are unhappy w. them so thats one option to consider

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
gtdrew said:
Mountain Kings are ridiculously bad for pinch flats. If you want a light race tire with decent traction and low rolling resistance then go for it but be prepared to run them hard as rocks (50+ psi).
They have these in UST versions I think? The super sonic version is ridiculously thin - and the protection version probably isn't that much thicker I'm running a ton of psi in my supersonics and they're actually really good for average trail riding. Anything really aggressive and I still swear by my Ignitors for now. but yeah, these are really a racing tire.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.