Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The seat stays on my Motolite have a crossbar for support which limits my tire size. In the summer I can get away with a larger volume tire. However in winter it's tough. My area is riddled with sticky clay mud that builds up quickly, so much in fact that it can actually jam the rear tire completely.

I've been running a Continental Mountain King 2.2" in the rear, but I find they slip a bit in mud/clay conditions. So I thought I would try the new Continental Trail King 2.2", unfortunately this tire is so tall that the nub spikes hit the cross bar. No way I could handle any mud build up at. So I'm back to my MK 2.2" for now - plenty of room but not my optimum tire.

Any recommends in the 2.2" size that aren't so tall?

Edit: I'm talking about the original Mountain King I tire. I suppose I could try the new Mountain King II tire, but I want to be sure Conti didn't make it super tall.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
The seat stays on my Motolite have a crossbar for support which limits my tire size. In the summer I can get away with a larger volume tire. However in winter it's tough. My area is riddled with sticky clay mud that builds up quickly, so much in fact that it can actually jam the rear tire completely.

I've been running a Continental Mountain King 2.2" in the rear, but I find they slip a bit in mud/clay conditions. So I thought I would try the new Continental Trail King 2.2", unfortunately this tire is so tall that the nub spikes hit the cross bar. No way I could handle any mud build up at. So I'm back to my MK 2.2" for now - plenty of room but not my optimum tire.

Any recommends in the 2.2" size that aren't so tall?

Edit: I'm talking about the original Mountain King I tire. I suppose I could try the new Mountain King II tire, but I want to be sure Conti didn't make it super tall.
Forget about the nominal tire width. As you have found the actual size can vary wildly.

Look at the Bontrager Mud X 2.00. Great winter tire and should give you plenty of frame clearance. Casing cize is similar to the MK 2.2.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
New MK2.2 is going to be taller than a mk1 2.2 I'd expect as all on the XK's casing I think.

Mud X if you don't mind riding a full mud.

RK 2.0 sadly is more like a 1.8" so don't try that.

I had this issue with my Element frame, the solution on the end was to get another frame sadly, shame nice frame if not for this.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm a little leary of a fully mud tire for full time winter use. Though looking at the Bontrager Mud XR, it looks like it might roll OK. I can always continue with the Conti MK I, mine is fairly old and think new knobs would help with slippage.

I have been recommended the Geaux Gato and am intrigued by the Tigo Psycho Genius.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.