Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
searcher
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Be aware: The Spec 2.2 Captain tire is too big for the '09 FTM in the rear! It was rubbing the lower part as soon as I sat on the bike. I ended up replacing it with a FastTrak 2.0.
The Captain will go on the front as soon as the Kenda wears out.
I know there are not too many Specialized fans around here, but I have to tell you, I have some good experience with their tires in the past. I hope these new ones will be good , too.
They def looks good and the other good thing is that they no longer have the big Specialized sign on their sidewall.

Attachments

·
Bike Addiction
763 Posts
I didn't like my captains at all when I first got them on a FSR XC and replaced them with Kendas. After about 8 months of learning to ride and spending too much money I got the tires back down and put them on my RX and I think I like them now. They roll better then the Neve stick-e. Grip is not as good but I have learned that there is give and take in that area. I kind of like the big white letters

·
ಠ_ಠ
3,190 Posts
Kovi,

Try the Geax Saguaro 2.2 TNT. It has a similar tread pattern, and it's tubeless ready (just add a some sealant).

I'm liking them a lot right now on the MotoLite.

·
searcher
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dulyebr said:
Kovi,

Try the Geax Saguaro 2.2 TNT. It has a similar tread pattern, and it's tubeless ready (just add a some sealant).

I'm liking them a lot right now on the MotoLite.
Thx, I might do that, but I am covered now for the next few months.

·
Not all pain is gain...
64 Posts
Yeah, Specialized needs help with their tire dimensions. The 2.2's are bigger than most 2.3's out there. I'm a big fan of both the FastTrak 29 2.0 and the Captain 29 2.0's though. Great tires IMO. The Fast Trak's are definitely faster rolling but don't do as well in the soft stuff as the Captains.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Yeah, Specialized needs help with their tire dimensions
No they don't. They are one of the few tire companies that have very acurate measurments.

The FTM (2009) does not fit any tires bigger than 2.15 without rubbing during out of the saddle pedaling efforts. I've documented as have others.

That's why I was really happy to see the improvments made for '10.

·
Not all pain is gain...
64 Posts
terrible said:
No they don't. They are one of the few tire companies that have very acurate measurments.
Ok, if you say so. If you've measured them against the competition, I'll take your word for it. That being said, a good chunk (a VERY good chunk) of the industry must be way off because Spec 2.2's (and 2.0's) generally appear larger than tires marked the same size by other companies. I'm not knocking 'em. On the contrary, I prefer Specialized tires to most others.

rabies

·
Bike Addiction
763 Posts
I looked at my 2.2 Captain last night compared to the 2.1 Nevegal and it was huge. Never really noticed it before. I knew it was a lot larger than the 2.0 on the rear but didn't realize how big it really was in comparison.

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,008 Posts
The 2.2 Captain barely fits the rear of the Motolite as well. I tried it briefly, but went back to the 2.0 Captain for the rear, which was plenty of tire. Those 2.2 Captains are HUGE, but still light and grip well in a vast number of conditions. My Moto has a 2.2 up front and a 2.0 Captain in back, my 29'er has the 29x2.0 Captain in the rear, and my 575 runs the 2.2 Captain in the rear.

So, I like the Captain so much that I may change my name to Gilligan.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I didn't mean to sound like a jerk but I really like the way specialized seems to keep themselves honest when it comes to tires. My 2.3 eskars look like everyone elses 2.4's.

That being said, does anyone run anything bigger than a 2.2 on a 2010 FTM? That was one of the big reasons I had to sell the 09 I bought. I can't stand small volume tires (2.2 and smaller in general) for riding on our rooty trails.

I miss my ftm some days :(

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I was told buy titus that the chain stays where to be changed for 2010 (guess they didn't on the alum. model). I was lied to and promised a "new" set of cahin stays for my 09. After three months of waiting and no new stays the bike got sold. I was really bummed that a trail bike couldn't fit a trail bike sized tire (2.2 captain)

I'd still have that bike if not for those issues. Now that I'm having some issues with specialized I'm once again looking at the ftm. Now if the thing fits a proper tire I might be back in the saddle again!

·
searcher
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
terrible said:
I'd still have that bike if not for those issues. Now that I'm having some issues with specialized I'm once again looking at the ftm. Now if the thing fits a proper tire I might be back in the saddle again!
Just out of curiosity . What is your issue with Specialized?

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Kovi. Broke his seat tube. Frame replacement
It goes deeper than the shop. Can't really talk about it here but some changes are taking place.

On a happier note: Is there any info on the 2011 bikes?

·
Registered
907 Posts
terrible said:
I was told buy titus that the chain stays where to be changed for 2010 (guess they didn't on the alum. model). I was lied to and promised a "new" set of cahin stays for my 09. After three months of waiting and no new stays the bike got sold. I was really bummed that a trail bike couldn't fit a trail bike sized tire (2.2 captain)

I have a ML and have the same clearance issue with my captains, but I'm not going to blame Titus. Those spesh tires are huge, in comparison to what other companies make. Even spesh's trail bike, the stumpjumper, has the 2.0 for a stock rear tire, the 2.2 won't fit that either. I have the 2.0 on the rear and it is wider than my old conti vertical pro 2.3s. The 2.2 on the front is huge, almost a 650b sized tall, and 2.4 wide.
Frankly, if you want a wider tire, maybe you should be looking at an el guapo.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts