Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have Panaracer XC Pros 2.10 and was wondering if they would run on Mavic 729s. Mavic recommends 2.30-2.50 tire for these rims

I will only be using these rims for XC but I'm a clyde looking for a rugged rim

So can I run a 2.1 tire and a rim recommended for 2.30-2.50. If I run it what potential problems will I be facing?

· No good in rock gardens..
4,517 Posts
They will probably mount up OK - but if you are a clyde then they are not the ideal tyre as the 2.1 Fire XC isn't big on the 2.1 scale - compare to a 2.1 Nevegal or 2.1 Tioga and you'll see what I mean.

The tyre will "bag" less on a wider rim so there will be less cushion - you'll need to run them a bit harder.

I suppose it's possible that the bead may pop off under extreme circumstances and low pressures as well.

· Old man on a bike
12,390 Posts
Why would you want to run such skinny tires?:D The EN321 is a great rim for a clyde and more suited to XC than the 729, or are you going tubeless? FWIW the Mavic site says the 729 is recommended for 2.3-3.0 tires.

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Couldn't get the EX321s in 36s

Also, I am a strong guy who does aggressive xc and and some freeride on a hardtail. I buckled a set of WTB Dual Duties and i was out for a while, off maybe a 4 foot drop flat. Never felt such pain without anything being broken in my life..not including my ego

I went 729 because I would rather be safe than sorry.

I was thinking of running WTB Mutano Raptor 2.4s front and rear.....what do you think?

Trying keep the set under $80

· Old man on a bike
12,390 Posts
Hobberz18 said:
Couldn't get the EX321s in 36s

Also, I am a strong guy who does aggressive xc and and some freeride on a hardtail. I buckled a set of WTB Dual Duties and i was out for a while, off maybe a 4 foot drop flat. Never felt such pain without anything being broken in my life..not including my ego

I went 729 because I would rather be safe than sorry.

I was thinking of running WTB Mutano Raptor 2.4s front and rear.....what do you think?

Trying keep the set under $80
I've been using F219/XM321/EN321, or whatever Mavic wants to call them at the moment, for several years in 32h. I'm 200 lbs and ride aggressive xc/am and have had no problems with the rims. Your strength has little to do with what the rim does for you; finesse would help if you're on the heavy side.

Personally I think WTB rims or wheels aren't all that impressive, especially the relabled American Classic hubs they've utilized in their wheelsets. I build my own wheels with various hubs and rims (including the F219 etc rims), but am sure my builds are better than anything WTB will sell you.

I think you're making more sense using a wider tire if you're serious about using a 729 rim, or just plan on a wheelset that's appropriate for your use and tires you want to mount rather than just throwing sh*t out there...

· Registered
371 Posts
Hobberz18 said:
I have Panaracer XC Pros 2.10 and was wondering if they would run on Mavic 729s. Mavic recommends 2.30-2.50 tire for these rims

I will only be using these rims for XC but I'm a clyde looking for a rugged rim

So can I run a 2.1 tire and a rim recommended for 2.30-2.50. If I run it what potential problems will I be facing?
Sure it will work, but it's far from optimum. If that's what you've got, run 'em.

I mounted up one of those tires on a Alex 32mm rim "just because", and the tread profile was so flat it was funny. The sidewalls were nearly vertical, hardly any buldge at all.

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
I've been using F219/XM321/EN321, or whatever Mavic wants to call them at the moment, for several years in 32h. I'm 200 lbs and ride aggressive xc/am and have had no problems with the rims. Your strength has little to do with what the rim does for you; finesse would help if you're on the heavy side.

Personally I think WTB rims or wheels aren't all that impressive, especially the relabled American Classic hubs they've utilized in their wheelsets. I build my own wheels with various hubs and rims (including the F219 etc rims), but am sure my builds are better than anything WTB will sell you.

I think you're making more sense using a wider tire if you're serious about using a 729 rim, or just plan on a wheelset that's appropriate for your use and tires you want to mount rather than just throwing sh*t out there...
I wanted 36s just to be safe. I don't think there is harm in that. When I said strength I was referring to how hard I would have to work with these heavy rims. I am not a weight weenie. This wheelset was just built for me at Universal Cycles (Mavic 729 rims w/ ShimanoXT 775 hubs). Simply now trying to find a set of tires under $80

I won't risk the 2.1s. I will give them to my wife for her Gary Fisher

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.