Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering a new front tire. I am currently running 2.1 IRC Mythos xc 2.1 front and rear. I ride mostly on rocky hardpack, fireroad. Just wondering if there is any significant gains against increased weight by running a larger front tire. I'm happy with what I've been using but notice that the trend seems to be going to larger tires. Also any suggestions as to which tire would work best? Many thanks. FSR.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
fsr said:
I am considering a new front tire. I am currently running 2.1 IRC Mythos xc 2.1 front and rear. I ride mostly on rocky hardpack, fireroad. Just wondering if there is any significant gains against increased weight by running a larger front tire. I'm happy with what I've been using but notice that the trend seems to be going to larger tires. Also any suggestions as to which tire would work best? Many thanks. FSR.
Give it a try. I sometimes run a larger front tire and have been doing it with good results for maybe 20 plus years - pretty much since choices became available in early to mid 80's. It was for suspension before there were suspension forks, but I realized it added cornering power, and I also do it to make for easier rolling in back on some trail types.

One way to try it or do it is a systematic approach. For example I have the same basic Conti tread in 3 different sizes. I only use the light twister on my hard tail, but will combine 2.3 Vertical and 2.1 Explorer models. Several brands have models that work well together and you can mix brands too.

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
I would stick with your 2.1 Mythos'. I used those for years and only switched up because I moved another area, tore out the sidewall on some lava rock, and no one in town carries IRC. Then I got a sweet hookup with WTB's, so I'm sticking with those for now.

The Mythos has great rolling resistance, and plenty of contact area and perfectly spaced and sized sideknobs to let you attack the turns as well as let you maintain when you start to lose it.

I think the trend towards wider tires coincides with the trend of mtn bikes developing more travel, better pedaling efficiency, and lighter weights, allowing the average rider to ride harder and faster than previously, thus the desire for more tread. Skinnier and lighter tires make a bike with mushy suspension somewhat easier to pedal, but now with suspension technology advances, you no longer need to compensate because the bikes pedal great, so you can run wider tires with lower pressures.

For fireroads and hardpack, stick with your setup. If you find yourself getting out into sandy, loamy terrain, or heavily rutted and rocky, move up to a 2.3

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
As far as brands and models go, besides the Mythos, try the Specialized Roll X line in a 2.0 They're actually more like a 2.1 or 2.15 but they call them a 2.0

Kenda makes a sweet tire too. The Blue Groove and the Nevegal are really good tires. The Nevegal has a little taller knobs than the B.G and they come in a wide array of sizes and compounds. Now, if I could just get a sweet deal on those.....

Have you considered going tubeless?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts