Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a durable, grippy, fast XC tire. Has anyone used BOTH of these tires and have any comments?

Thanks, Dav

·
Registered
196 Posts
A+

i just recently put them on. i had irc mythos xc on before and i like the panaracers a lot better. the rear climbs better and the front grips better on faster decents. they tend to pack a little mud but its not bad at all.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
gard_nerd said:
Looking for a durable, grippy, fast XC tire. Has anyone used BOTH of these tires and have any comments?

Thanks, Dav

Really like both of them.
Make sure you get the 127tpi Panaracers as some of the cheaper blow out places sell the 66tpi ones I've heard some people having problems with mountain the panaracers with Stans.

I had no problems with the Serac's Right now the Serac is my favorite tire up front.

Be very careful with the Fires if you end up riding in any thick-ish mud. They will pack up and turn into a baldy in no time. If it's just wet then it isn't a problem.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Panaracer

A vote for the panaracer's --- i rode them non tubeless for a couple years and then when i went tubeless i rode the 2.1. best tire i have ever used, although i did not appreciate it until i switched to some kenda's for a narrower tire (1.95) and they wash out all the time whereas the fire xc pros never did. i had a lot more confidance with them than i do now. you will love them--the only issue i had was that the rear tire kept going flat about halfway through the ride (doesn't happen with the kenda's) other than that they are perfect :D

·
Will work 4 fuel...
24 Posts
Seracs, FireXC

Used both (w/tubes)

Would race on the Seracs, rounded profile, lower knobs, definitely faster but I seemed to flat a lot (doubt it's the tire's fault). Fair choice for fast fireroads but I'd rather hit my trails with meatier Fire XCs, my favorite all-around.

FireXCs 2.1, 127tpi are feel heavier and slower than the Serac. Hands down better front tire than the Serac (I liked the WTB Weirwolfs better, tho'). Fire XC has taller knobs and a squared profile but grips great in any dry condition. Currently running a 2.35 Fire DH up front on my Id... overkill but anything that inspires confidence...

The IRC Mythos 2.1"s front and rear specific are a good compromise between the performance of the two if you can find them. Had some durability issues w/my Mythos (could be a bad production run) but they worked pretty well considering the shorter knobs.

Everyone's got their favorites, try a few out on the trails you ride the most. Good luck!

·
Registered
148 Posts
gard_nerd said:

Thanks, Dav
Another vote for Panaracers

Have used both this year. When my Fires wore out this spring, I tried some Seracs. It is no contest in loose terrain. Seracs were OK on level hardpack, but a safety hazard everywhere else. I think it has something to do with all the little angled edges; the tires had a bad habit of getting sideways in a very big hurry. I took them off my bike and threw them in the trash after putting less than 200 miles on them. I'm riding 2.25 Cinders right now, because I wanted something a little beefier. Might suggest a 1.95 Cinder in the rear and a Fire XC 2.1 up front. I have thought about getting this setup to use for very long rides with alot of climbing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts