Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
OnTheTrailAgain
Joined
·
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are the choices I'm considering for my first Full Suspension buy...

1. '09 Gary Fisher Roscoe I
2. '08 Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe
3. '09 Santa Cruz Blur LT
4. '08 Pivot Mach 5

I've only ridden the HiFi (which I really liked).
I'm leaning toward the Roscoe for it's features.
Waiting to ride the rest.

Riding: XC, Singletrack, Epics.

Thinking of the pros of going with a big brand manufacturer
(for warranty reasons and service availability),
but the lesser known brands seem to offer more bang for the buck.

Would appreciate any help/suggesstions/experiences.
Thanks! :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
I have a Yeti 575 that i just started riding. I have a Talas 140mm on it, so it's more of a trail build than an All Mountain, and it's great. You can probably get an '08 for well under 3K
 

·
The Martian
Joined
·
1,200 Posts
I was going to throw Yeti in there too. Since it's already been done I'll give more general advice.

Ride EVERYTHING you can get your hands on within a reasonable drive; then decide what works best for you. All the normal players are well designed capable bikes, but they all have different fit and ride characteristics. I know one stood out for me (a Yeti ASR)

Other good bikes to consider are the Trek EX, Cannondale Rush/Rize/Moto, Titus Racer X/Motolite
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
310 Posts
I love the Pivot, however I couldn't find one with the parts I wanted for only $3k so I ended up with an Iron Horse MkIII instead. Same suspension design without the price tag of a boutique frame. I love the bike and it is a much better ride then any of the other bikes I've every owned.

In any case just ride them all and pick the one that feels the best to you. Just after I got my MkIII I fell in love with the Fisher Superfly during a demo ride, but I can't afford the Superfly :) What I'm trying to say is until you ride a bunch of bikes over various trails you really won't find the right bike for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,153 Posts
I vote for the Santa Cruz LT2 RAM kit. Bike is amazing and the right price for you. Maybe if your lucky you might find an 08 (a bit cheaper then 09). Make sure it is the LT2 though.
 

·
OnTheTrailAgain
Joined
·
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CougarTrek said:
I was going to throw Yeti in there too. Since it's already been done I'll give more general advice.

Ride EVERYTHING you can get your hands on within a reasonable drive; then decide what works best for you. All the normal players are well designed capable bikes, but they all have different fit and ride characteristics. I know one stood out for me (a Yeti ASR)

Other good bikes to consider are the Trek EX, Cannondale Rush/Rize/Moto, Titus Racer X/Motolite

Hi CT,

Rode an EX...for me, was a bit too plush. Definitely considered the Titus Motolite too. Can't find one locally. Test riding any of the bikes mentioned will be a task all it's own, but when I'm puttin' down that much money on anything, it's worth a few days of trekking all over the tri-state area to find something that's going to be worthy.
 

·
OnTheTrailAgain
Joined
·
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
gotboostedvr6 said:
Try to find a 08 EX-8-9 for a sick deal.
Actually, came across a beautiful '08 EX9 for what the EX8 was going for.
Verrrry tempting, but might be too plush for me.
I'm going to have to try another one out...I keep running into rave reviews on them.
Maybe the rear shock wasn't pumped up enough?
I'll give one another shot before I plunk down my cash though.
I was actually infatuated with the '08 EX8 (the most beautiful Green I've ever seen on a bike). :D
 

·
OnTheTrailAgain
Joined
·
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okie Dokie said:
I vote for the Santa Cruz LT2 RAM kit. Bike is amazing and the right price for you. Maybe if your lucky you might find an 08 (a bit cheaper then 09). Make sure it is the LT2 though.
Yeah, I read that Santa Cruz was kind of flaky about renaming/badging the 2nd half of the '08 year Blur Lt. They seem to have given it a designation number now (something I think I read that that they didn't want to do).

But the Blur is actually 2nd on my list. I've read so many great things about it.
 

·
OnTheTrailAgain
Joined
·
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
space said:
I love the Pivot, however I couldn't find one with the parts I wanted for only $3k so I ended up with an Iron Horse MkIII instead. Same suspension design without the price tag of a boutique frame. I love the bike and it is a much better ride then any of the other bikes I've every owned.

In any case just ride them all and pick the one that feels the best to you. Just after I got my MkIII I fell in love with the Fisher Superfly during a demo ride, but I can't afford the Superfly :) What I'm trying to say is until you ride a bunch of bikes over various trails you really won't find the right bike for you.
Amen to all of that...actually, I've come to really like the MKIII's set up and the fact that the company is based in New York is a strong point. I might just have to throw that one on the list too!

LOL!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Iron Horse MKIII Elite 2008 $1840.00 http://www.rscycle.com/2008-Iron-Horse-MKIII-Elite-All-Mountain

Frame: 5" TRAVEL dw-link TRAIL FRAME, 1-1/8" ZEROSTACK HEADTUBE, REPLACEABLE DERAILLEUR HANGER.
Fork: ROCK SHOX REVELATION 426 DUAL AIR, 130MM TRAVEL
Rear Shock: FOX FLOAT R, 7.5"X2"
Front Derailleur: SHIMANO DEORE XT, 34.9MM CLAMP
Rear Derailleur: SHIMANO DEORE XT SHADOW
Shifters: SHIMANO DEORE XT, RAPID FIRE
Brakes Levers: SHIMANO DEORE XT SERVO-WAVE
Brakes: SHIMANO DEORE XT W/ 180MM FRONT & 160MM REAR ROTORS
Chain: SHIMANO HG93
Crankset: SHIMANO DEORE XT, 15-17"=170MM, 19-21"=175MM/SHIMANO ALLOY, 44/32/22T
Cassette: SHIMANO DEORE XT, 11/34T, 9 SPEED
Pedals: CRANK BROS CANDY C CLIPLESS

Bottom Bracket: SHIMANO, 73MM
Headset: CANE CREEK E:13 INTEGRATED, ZEROSTACK
Saddle: WTB SILVERADO TEAM W/ NICRO RAILS
Seat Post: EASTON EA70, 30.0MM
Handlebar: EASTON EA70, LOW RISE, 685MM, 31.8MM CLAMP
Grips: N/A
Stem: EASTON EA70, 31.8MM CLAMP
Tires: MAXXIS HIGHROLLER FOLDING, 2.35" FRONT/2.1" REAR
Wheelset: DT/SWISS 340 CENTERLOCK, 32H/DT/SWISS XR 4.2D, 32H
Weight: 27.8LBS/12.6KG
Color: BLACK SATIN
 

·
OnTheTrailAgain
Joined
·
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Randall Scott Company said:
Iron Horse MKIII Elite 2008 $1840.00 http://www.rscycle.com/2008-Iron-Horse-MKIII-Elite-All-Mountain

Frame: 5" TRAVEL dw-link TRAIL FRAME, 1-1/8" ZEROSTACK HEADTUBE, REPLACEABLE DERAILLEUR HANGER.
Fork: ROCK SHOX REVELATION 426 DUAL AIR, 130MM TRAVEL
Rear Shock: FOX FLOAT R, 7.5"X2"
Front Derailleur: SHIMANO DEORE XT, 34.9MM CLAMP
Rear Derailleur: SHIMANO DEORE XT SHADOW
Shifters: SHIMANO DEORE XT, RAPID FIRE
Brakes Levers: SHIMANO DEORE XT SERVO-WAVE
Brakes: SHIMANO DEORE XT W/ 180MM FRONT & 160MM REAR ROTORS
Chain: SHIMANO HG93
Crankset: SHIMANO DEORE XT, 15-17"=170MM, 19-21"=175MM/SHIMANO ALLOY, 44/32/22T
Cassette: SHIMANO DEORE XT, 11/34T, 9 SPEED
Pedals: CRANK BROS CANDY C CLIPLESS

Bottom Bracket: SHIMANO, 73MM
Headset: CANE CREEK E:13 INTEGRATED, ZEROSTACK
Saddle: WTB SILVERADO TEAM W/ NICRO RAILS
Seat Post: EASTON EA70, 30.0MM
Handlebar: EASTON EA70, LOW RISE, 685MM, 31.8MM CLAMP
Grips: N/A
Stem: EASTON EA70, 31.8MM CLAMP
Tires: MAXXIS HIGHROLLER FOLDING, 2.35" FRONT/2.1" REAR
Wheelset: DT/SWISS 340 CENTERLOCK, 32H/DT/SWISS XR 4.2D, 32H
Weight: 27.8LBS/12.6KG
Color: BLACK SATIN
Components-wise, that seems to be the best bang for the buck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
2ndgen said:
Hi CT,

Rode an EX...for me, was a bit too plush. Definitely considered the Titus Motolite too. Can't find one locally. Test riding any of the bikes mentioned will be a task all it's own, but when I'm puttin' down that much money on anything, it's worth a few days of trekking all over the tri-state area to find something that's going to be worthy.
Make sure you have the rear shock set in Pro/Pedal mode. The full travel mode for me is way to plush. (07-EX9)
 

·
OnTheTrailAgain
Joined
·
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Kyle88 said:
Make sure you have the rear shock set in Pro/Pedal mode. The full travel mode for me is way to plush. (07-EX9)
Will do.
I would assume that ProPedal would be automatic?
That it would kick in when needed?
I didn't know it had to be set.
Anyway, the guy who set me up on the bike was a roadie.
Next time, I'll have an MTBer set me up.
Thanks.
:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
667 Posts
2ndgen,

I'm looking for the same thing as you...If you plan on keeping this bike for a long time then definitely get the best you can afford...From what people say,you really cant go wrong with a Santa Cruz (Any of them !!) I would love to get a new Blur LT or a Nomad but they are a little pricy...I've also been looking at the Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC's and the Yeti 575's...Good Luck :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
I know the new Blur, Roscoe and Mach 5 have gotten great reviews and you cannot go wrong. But try and demo them, since the Fishers you mentioned have a very different feel. Personally, the HiFi fit me right. Similarly, the EX was too plush. The Blur and Pivot and were too expensive for me....
 

·
OnTheTrailAgain
Joined
·
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
vyper005 said:
2ndgen,

I'm looking for the same thing as you...If you plan on keeping this bike for a long time then definitely get the best you can afford...From what people say,you really cant go wrong with a Santa Cruz (Any of them !!) I would love to get a new Blur LT or a Nomad but they are a little pricy...I've also been looking at the Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC's and the Yeti 575's...Good Luck :D
Just found a shop where they sell them about 30 miles away.

I'm going to go check them out.

As it stands, right now it's between a transitional bike like the HiFi Deluxe (which I won't build up, but will just use to learn on) or a buildable bike like a Roscoe I.
 

·
OnTheTrailAgain
Joined
·
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
mtbdan said:
I know the new Blur, Roscoe and Mach 5 have gotten great reviews and you cannot go wrong. But try and demo them, since the Fishers you mentioned have a very different feel. Personally, the HiFi fit me right. Similarly, the EX was too plush. The Blur and Pivot and were too expensive for me....
The HiFi (for me too) was wayyyy better than the EX.
It's just a much crisper bike, I felt more in tune with it.
:)
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top