Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
RIDIN'MO said:
Any X-Cal owners out there running 1x9? If you were to do this would all you need to switch out the front deraliers and add a different cranckset? Prolly a new chain too huh??
Its a fairly universal process, and a cheap one too!

You don't need to replace the crankset, just remove the granny and replace the big ring with a bashguard to help keep the chain from falling off the outside. Then add a N-Gear Jump Stop on the inside to keep the chain from falling off in that direction. You can probably just shorten your existing chain as well.

I used a BBG bashguard for mine. $16 delivered

The N Gear Jump Stop looks like this. You can find them in a few places on line as well as direct from the guy who makes them. Unfortunately I do not know the clamp size you need for the Jump Stop on the X-Cal

·
AR SS
15 Posts
Wow - Excellent price on that bashguard. A friend of mine saved some bucks by just shaving the teeth off his big ring.

The N Gear Jump Stop for the X-Caliber is the "large" There are only two sizes and the X-Cal takes the larger size.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 07 Xcal that I am currently running 1x9. I took the granny off, took off the cable, shifter, der, and made a bash guard out of a thin sheet of lexan. Not real strong, but I do more XC stuff than anything else. I'd post pics, but my bikes nothing special.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.